'03 KJ CV Axle or Driveshaft issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsnake

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a newbie here but have been wrenching on Jeeps for a long time. My wife's '03 KJ started making the popping/rattling sound just yesterday when driving it around in Full-Time 4wd due to the ice and snow we just got here in OK.

When you take the transfer case out of 4wd and just run it in 2wd the noise goes away. Immediately I thought CV joint/axle but haven't dealt w/this on her KJ in the past... only on front wheel drive Hondas and such.

So after doing lots of internet and message board research it sounds like we've been quick fortunate to make it this long as her KJ has $160K miles on the odometer and none of the CV joints/axles have failed yet.

Due to the fact it only makes this noise in 4wd makes me think it's one of the CV Axles and not the driveshaft, but I'd like some confirmations or corrections f/those who've done this before. I haven't had a chance to crawl under the rig yet since this started but changed the oil last weekend and didn't notice any of the rubber boots in bad shape or any grease leaks out of the norm. Any tips for checking which CV joint might be bad or should I change both Drivers and Passengers w/the mileage we have? I've read several how-to's but none of them specified if doing the drivers/passenger side axles were any different or they're both the same removal/install procedure.

Any help is appreciated as I don't like going at a problem blindly when it comes to mechanics.

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft before you go any further with 160,000 miles I'm sure its toast. There would not be any grease coming out of it since generally it has dried up pretty much or have so much crud it doesn't come out
If it is indeed OK then I'd say its the right side CV/ Intermediate shaft
splines get worn and make noise. Remanned CV from NAPA is the best deal, rest from those auto parts places are not long enough at times and are junk
Oh intermediate shafts can be found on ebay etc

Redsnake

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. One other thing I failed to ask... since it drives fine in 2wd and doesn't make any of those noises, is it safe to drive this way until I can get the CV joint issue figured out and fixed? Will driving it in part time 4wd be a big mistake? Thanks.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the front drive shaft it's safer to remove it and leave it in 2 wheel drive do not put it in 4 wheel drive full or part time.

Redsnake

Reaction score
Not sure if this video will upload... but I crawled under the KJ yesterday and wiggled the driveshaft and it was popping/rattling but I couldn't see any worn out rubber. I suppose it's possible the CV grease is dry/gone w/the mileage... but not really any visual signs. Also, but front drive axles CV joints seem nice and tight, perhaps the Drivers side had a bit of 'noise' but overall they felt tight and were quiet while rolling the front wheels and trying to wiggle the front wheels (KJ jacked up in front)

Does this sound normal or worn out?

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Video doesn't show anything really
to hear any noise from the front driveshaft you would need to have it turning. Also didn't show the rear boot. Folks have posted pictures before saying nothing looked bad and the whole boot had dried up and was completely missing.
But 99% its one of the two areas rear CV/boot on the front driveshaft or the right side intermediate/CV

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it is your intermediate/CV is the issue, I'd take another look at the driveshaft CV as well and get it taken care of. The video shoes some wiggle, so it's a good possibility that it's time. Take a look at THIS THREAD for info on what to look at, and how to fix it. You don't want to wait until it looks like mine that I just fixed today! I posted about it HERE. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Redsnake

Reaction score
Even if it is your intermediate/CV is the issue, I'd take another look at the driveshaft CV as well and get it taken care of. The video shoes some wiggle, so it's a good possibility that it's time. Take a look at THIS THREAD for info on what to look at, and how to fix it. You don't want to wait until it looks like mine that I just fixed today! I posted about it HERE. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Thanks for the info and the links. I've read thru the first link prior to my posting this thread and now feel confident in doing the work. I've been wrenching on vehicles for 20+ years so this looks like a snap. I ordered a new CV joint for the driveshaft so hopefully it'll be arriving in a couple days so I can get this changed out this weekend.

This noise just started a couple days ago so I don't think I've let it go too long... hopefully it's the CV/driveshaft and not the intermediate CV shaft. I'll definitely followup when I get it apart and back together.

Redsnake

Reaction score
Follow-up:

I finally got my new CV joint in for the driveshaft (part that attaches to transfer case) and pulled the front driveshaft. Sure enough, the rubber boot was mostly gone where it bends and moves but that was hard to see until I really got under the KJ and started to pull the driveshaft. The OE CV joint wasn't in terrible shape, but the grease was mostly dry and there was a lot of play between the ball joints and the shaft. Definitely past being serviceable.

Anyway, swapped in the new CV joint and took her for a spin in Full Time 4wd around the block. The popping and noise that was present before was gone and she was as 'quiet' as normal. Considering the condition of the OE CV joint I pulled off I'm quite surprised it wasn't making noises before this past week. Could be because my wife blasts her Alpine Deck when driving most of the time so it could be she never heard much before. :)

Not a hard job to do. Just takes some time to pull all the screws out, rotate the driveshaft, remove the rest of the screws and then reinstall, etc...

Thanks again for all the tips and help. Much appreciated!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow-up:

I finally got my new CV joint in for the driveshaft (part that attaches to transfer case) and pulled the front driveshaft. Sure enough, the rubber boot was mostly gone where it bends and moves but that was hard to see until I really got under the KJ and started to pull the driveshaft. The OE CV joint wasn't in terrible shape, but the grease was mostly dry and there was a lot of play between the ball joints and the shaft. Definitely past being serviceable.

Anyway, swapped in the new CV joint and took her for a spin in Full Time 4wd around the block. The popping and noise that was present before was gone and she was as 'quiet' as normal. Considering the condition of the OE CV joint I pulled off I'm quite surprised it wasn't making noises before this past week. Could be because my wife blasts her Alpine Deck when driving most of the time so it could be she never heard much before. :)

Not a hard job to do. Just takes some time to pull all the screws out, rotate the driveshaft, remove the rest of the screws and then reinstall, etc...

Thanks again for all the tips and help. Much appreciated!!

Congrats on finding/fixing the problem :waytogo:

That CV joint creates a wide variety of noises and problems - everyone describes different symptoms but it's almost always that particular part. Mine just clicked when the boot came apart - others have horrible grinding. Like you said, a pretty easy fix that has gotten cheaper as time has gone on...

Bob

Tcolburn

Reaction score
(...joining the discussion...)

Looks like I have a similar problem. I've been experiencing intermittent binding in the drive train when turning tightly, sometimes going forward, sometimes in reverse. Feels like the car's in 4LO on dry pavement, even when it's in 2HI. It's a little scary to drive any distance, since I never know when it's going to happen.

So I slid underneath today, and discovered that the boot on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft is gone:

The other end of the shaft looks OK, but I see a lot of grease/oil around it which might suggest that the seal in the front differential is worn out:

Anybody think that I'll have to do anything to it other than replacing the CV joint on the drive shaft and maybe the diff seal? I hope nothing's damaged in the transfer case (which is a 242J Selec-Trac)....

Any opinions welcome!
--Tim

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I would say that the binding is unrelated to the drive shaft issue... more likely an CV axle problem. (if it occurs when you do not have 4WD engaged)

and yes new CV and pinion seal are in order

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that the binding is unrelated to the drive shaft issue... more likely an CV axle problem. (if it occurs when you do not have 4WD engaged)

and yes new CV and pinion seal are in order

X2

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd almost wonder if it's stuck in 4WD. When was the last time it was in 4WD?

Tcolburn

Reaction score
I'd almost wonder if it's stuck in 4WD. When was the last time it was in 4WD?

Well, since I've had the car I've been exercising the transfer case quite a bit. That is one possibility that occurred to me and I've been wondering if it could be slipping back into 4H even while the lever is firmly in the 2H position.... Maybe the cable needs adjustment? It's a question I'll be asking my mechanic when I get the vehicle in for the CV joint repair...

-- Tim

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since I've had the car There's your problem your calling it a car and Jeeps don't like to be called cars it's also not kind to a kitten or puppy.

Tcolburn

Reaction score
Reporting back in-- had the vehicle in to the shop for the CV and pinion seal as discussed earlier. My mechanic noted that there was a badly-deteriorated rubber bushing at the transfer case end of the shift cable which was preventing the transfer case lever from moving as far as it should have.

He found that the rubber part is not available separately from the entire $$$ shift lever assembly (!), so he fabricated a new one. So far it seems to be acting all right. I'll report again if there's any change....

--Tim