'02 Limited w/ bad exhaust drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently installed a new Thrush welded muffler because my stock muffler had holes and cracks in it and sounded terrible. Anyways, I got it all clamped up, sounds great at idle, but drones like HELL when I'm driving around. Would welding the whole system fix that? I've also read that perhaps putting the muffler further back towards the rear axle may help with resonance frequencies in the tail pipe section. Or there are the one's who say adding an exhaust tip will help...

Anyone have any insight that could help me out?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Pushing the muffler back will just move the droning rearward, it won't stop it. You'll just hear less of it in the front.

Welding it won't work either.

Been there, done that with aftermarket "performance and sound" mufflers.

Never again.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I had read good things about the thrush and it was cheap so I thought I'd try it out...wasn't supposed to be too loud. Maybe I'll try adding a resonator...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are basically a knockoff Flowmaster which drone like crazy.
Not much you can do just run it or swap it out, I don't have any drone with the Magnaflow

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think if I move it back a little more towards the rear axle it would quiet down inside the cabin? Right now it is about 4-5" back from the cat

Handyd

Reaction score
So the MagnaFlow has no drone...what about a Flowmaster? Anyone know? I was going to have that beast of a stock muffler replaced with a Flowmaster this up coming week. Does anyone know how restrictive (or not) stock is? The Renegades have great skid plates, but that stk monster muffler looks as if it'll be the first thing you bounce off!

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I don't have any drone with the Magnaflow

So the MagnaFlow has no drone...

I know a couple people with Magnaflow and they are top of the line and like Tom said, no drone. I inherited the Borla dual catback and it's pretty loud on the highway. Sounds great at launch but the drone at highway speed is annoying. It has a very large muffler too. Some day I may swap out the Borla muffler for a Magnaflow. Those band-clamps actually allow one to separate pipes, unlike the old timey clamps.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" round MagnaFlow Ultra Race Muffler that dumps before the rear diff(no tail pipe,just a turndown on end of muffler).No drone but I'm almost legally deaf so I couldn't tell anyways.Very loud outside,not bad inside unless you have the windows down.

Been told it's louder then a '80's Mack truck at full bore at highway speeds,no wonder why it sucked a exhaust valve a few weeks ago.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go with a bigger muffler or add a resonator (or glasspack) behind the muffler. If you are in the market for a replacement try summits "fully welded" muffler. I ran one on my 5.0 bronco ii (3", hi flow cat, headers)and there was no drone. It was louder then a turbo type but not as loud as a flow master 50.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-633230/overview/

I also liked the Jones full boar muffler on my Silverado. It had a unique beastly sound to it. But I'm actually thinking of going with the summit "fully welded" on my kj

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Edit: heres a 25-80 clip of the Jones
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
4" round MagnaFlow Ultra Race Muffler that dumps before the rear diff(no tail pipe,just a turndown on end of muffler).

I'd like to hear that one. I thought about doing that for my Ranger but chickened out and stuck an inexpensive Dynomax system (2.5 inch, w/ hi flow fully welded muffler) on a month ago when my 7 year old Heart throb dual system finally rusted through. Dynomax was way better than I expected and easy to install (band clamps!!). No drone and very loud when you want it to be. Not sure how it would be on the KJ though, muffler is back a ways on the Ranger.

Been told it's louder then a '80's Mack truck at full bore at highway speeds,no wonder why it sucked a exhaust valve a few weeks ago.

You'll probably have your's up and running before I get my heads back on at the rate I'm going.:disgust:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.