02 Liberty Sport V6 4WD rearend swap for disc brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty Sport V6 4WD. Being the first year of production, they came with drum brakes on the rear. Jeep changed it to Disc Brakes in 03 maybe…?? How hard could it be to go to LKQ or any junk yard and pull one out to take home to swap into mine ? I know how to make sure it’s operational. But what about the brake lines ? Is there a junction or distribution valve near the rear end ? I’m presuming the disc’s have steel lines running to them. Anybody that has done this have any tips . Where do I Find the ratio ? A tag or stamp somewhere ? Thank you all for the help !
Bob

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 has rear disc brakes. If I were in your shoes I'd want the rear discs too.

Sorry I do not have much advice for you other than I would find out the first year they came with discs and that is the year I would seek out. The reason is it is much more likely that everything else is the exact same except the brakes if say 04 or 05 has the discs. They made several changes for 06 and 07 which added a lot of crap.

On the lines, if they can't be matched up to just hook up, I swear I'd measure and go have some lines made if I had to. I am surprised there isn't an aftermarket upgrade kit for this. A friend of mine was just talking about the same thing the other day on his Tacoma and there is actually an aftermarket kit he can get for the swap and that is the main way to do it because none of the Tacomas ever came with rear discs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be a tag, if not all 3.7 automatics are 3.73
Ive swapped a bunch of diffs and never touch the brake lines of course you will have to off of the drum brakes to disc.
But also think about the different line pressures between the disc and drum , you'll need to address that
Also some of the 02s had a different pinion flange, I have had to swap some of them when doing 4.10s

also have to get 03 or 04 prefereably , some 05s will work, later years and they do not have the speedo in the rear diff

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Well this past weekend I put new rear brake shoes on my 02 Sport V6 4x4. While I was there I was still checking for the possible conversion to disc brakes. I did see the backing plates are bolted to the flanges off the rear axle housing. My question is, would the disc setup off a later 02 or 03 bolt up to the same axle flanges ? They changed the rear brakes to disc in the 02 year model production run. Does anybody know if they will fit my original "Corporate" rear end ? I would think they would as I don't see Chrysler changing the whole rear end out in the middle of a production run when they went to disc brakes. If they did not change rear end, I don't see why they would not swap over. I'd probably have to get the rear splitter valve and maybe change the dist valve up front. If anyone has the bolt spacing on the disk backing plate, that would answer my question. If nobody knows, I guess I'll go to the LKQ yard and take one off and bring it home to check. Sure would be nice to have rear discs as I pull a trailer often going over to the Cabin in NC. It is 100 miles of curvy mountain miles to get over there. When my old 6X4 Gator is on the trailer, I estimate the whole rig consisting of the trailer and Gator and gear weigh in somewhere about 2000 lbs when loaded down for a weekend stay. More when I go for a week !
Thank you,
Bob

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but I would venture a guess that your drum equipped axle does not have provisions for the disc brake caliper mount. It is not part of the backing plate but the axle housing.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
I’d go salvage yard hunting for an ‘03 automatic complete axle with brake lines and get a new master cylinder for that model vehicle too. Obviously, check it over for issues!

Pull the diff cover for inspection before buying if possible. You could probably get half your money back selling the old complete axle. All in, I’d set a budget of $500 for axle, new rotors, pads, fluids and master cylinder.

I’ve got the same vehicle, but don’t use it for towing anything.

Latest posts

Members online