02 45rfe wont move in any gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last night it worked fine moving it back into the garage and today when my wife went to leave she put it in reverse, and went to move, it revved up a bunch then finally moved, stopped in the driveway and let it run for a moment, then put it in drive and it just rolled backwards. shut it down and started it up again (this time the CEL came on P0700) and it went into reverse fine and then finally into drive, went less then a block away and came back, but it wasnt acting right. now it wont move in any gear.

normally when i put the jeep into any gear i hear the usual kind of humm or buzz it seems that all chrysler transmissions do this? now there is no buzz or humm sound from the trans when i select a gear. i checked fuses that might control the TCM or something like that, all looked well...
fluid is full, pinkish red, and does not smell burnt. it drove normal last time...
this is the 45RFE.

i also unplugged the line pressure sensor and plugged it back in but got nothing. could the line pressure sensor even cause this? i have an old one i can try if need be.

solenoids? valve body? any ideas?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i put in the old line pressure sensor i had and there was no change in how it acted. this evening it would usually go into reverse but the time from park to reverse was longer and it would lurch into gear more than before. it would work in the forward gears for a short period of time, maybe 2 or three times from reverse or neutral into a forward gear and then it would not move without slipping a bunch first...

any other ideas?

if i have to have it rebuilt i am going to have the transgo performance kit installed instead of more stock parts. any other internal upgrades or modifications?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the fluid level?

Any trans service done lately? Correct fluid used? Could be the main filter fell,low fluid,incorrect fluid,or the valve body side plate blew off.Worst case is the soliniod pack took a dump,that's a pricey fix as that part is a few hundred $$$$.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you got P0700 (generic trans error) then you should have gotten at least one other code with it for something more specific. I have this trans in my Ram and when the OD clutches went it spit out 0700, 0734. Were the filters changed lately and if so what brand did you use?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filters were not changed lately. it was serviced about a year ago. used wix filters i believe and napa ATF+4 has been working flawlessly since then thats why i wonder if it is a solenoid pack or something like that....
how would the main filter cause any problems? could it stay attached for a year and then fall back off?
my wife did the key code check and she said only P0700 but i will check tomorrow with my scanner.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filters were not changed lately. it was serviced about a year ago. used wix filters i believe and napa ATF+4 has been working flawlessly since then thats why i wonder if it is a solenoid pack or something like that....
how would the main filter cause any problems? could it stay attached for a year and then fall back off?
my wife did the key code check and she said only P0700 but i will check tomorrow with my scanner.

P0700 is going to be the only one that comes up with the key code. The scanner will be able to get the error code that's on the TCM, which is P07XX. P0700 just states that there is a shift error on the TCM.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i got the following codes:
P0841, P0846, P0876

i searched online and found anything from split filters, or filters that had come un done to broken valve bodies. sonnax offers a kit to prevent the solenoids in the valve body from flexing and causing false readings

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have read various things so far. from the spin off filter falling off to problems with the solenoids in the valve body.... i am going to take it apart Saturday and see what i see. since it was so sudden with no prior symptoms i am hoping for just a bad or broken filter. maybe the valve body plate on the side being bent and mangled. or if i have to go that far take out the solenoid pack and test that. sonnax has some parts to remedy a flexing solenoid board. and for a valve body plate...we will see

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans in my orange 02 was "bad" or so I was told. Supposedly it went bad on the interstate and the wife just revved the engine up like a ****. end result, 4 rods in bottom of the block. Of course, this was because some uneducated mexican worked on it (fact) and used wood screws on the cam bearing retainers, had bottom end apart, and I'm sure mixed up the rod caps (can NOT do that) as well as reusing TTY bolts.

Back on topic...trans works great. the spin on filter was laying in the trans pan. it wouldn't move without it on right since the pump will lose all pressure and bypass the valve body entirely.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well got it today
the main filter was somehow disconnected from the valve body....it was still bolted to the valve body, but the tube into the valve body had become disconnected, the "bushing" was still on the tube on the filter, but not in the valve body so i think it was not pressed into the valve body well. i added a drain plug to the to the pan. and that was that. at first the trans was still in limp mode, disconnected the battery for ten minutes, and then reset the codes with out scanner. all seems well now
thanks everyone for the tips and advice.