Transmission fluid/dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Undercut

Reaction score
Evening folks, well I'm having some trouble understanding the current fluid level in my 07 Liberty with the 42RLE. I recently had my filter serviced along with new transmission lines. At the time the lines and filter were done the mechanic added 5 litres of fluid in total. on my drive home (5km) I stopped into the store near my house. When coming out and walking back to the jeep I noticed a puddle about 4 inches in diameter under the transmission. I only live around the corner so I coasted home and immediately put it onto service ramps to check it out. Only half of the bolts in the pan were tight and the rest only a couple of turns on them, and 1 missing. I quickly tightend them up and cleaned all the fluid up to check for leaks, luckily it was stopped, I then added about half a litre of fluid back into it . I headed back to the garage in the morning for the missing bolt and to let the mechanic know what had happened. He apologized and immediately put it back on the ramp and put a new bolt into it. As I was coming out of the office I noticed he was just closing the hood and he told me he added another litre of fluid. On my drive home I noticed when shifting into second it hesatates a little and then kinda clunks into second, I never really noticed before as I only have about 50km total at that time put on it. Seemed new to me. Anyway while at the u pick I happend to find a dipstick in a 2003 (mine just had the cap) I put it in when I got home to see if I could get an idea on a fluid level. Now when the engine is cold, it reads to the top of the hot mark. When it is hot, running in neutral it reads half way between hot and cold. Any ideas?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to check the fluid levels in neutral at temperature.
Otherwise there's a chart that shows fluid level vs temperature in the FSM then you'll have to measure it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That 03 could've had the 45RFE transmission. Not sure if that's a factor though.

Undercut

Reaction score
Yes the 45 holds more fluid. I will have to check again what was in it when I go back. Does that not sound ass backwards tho? Is it supposed to be checked at temperature with the engine running while in neutral or engine off?? I knew I should have just done the job myself, I gave in tho waiting for the rain to stop. Sick and tired or laying on my back in the wet driveway, I think I'll suck it up from now on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online