Sway bar end link question-defective?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I put these Moog sway bar end links on back in May I think and just while changing the difffluids on the KJ noticed the driver's side one is torn and the passenger side one isn't sitting flush either. What's up with that? I torqued them with the full weight of the Jeep on the ground...never even jacked it up to do these at all. First 3 are the passenger's side (black bushings) and the last 4 are driver's side (blue bushings)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for all the questions lately...the KJ just begs to be learned about. :happy175:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm...Looks like more new ones are in order....
Are the nuts still tight or did they loosen off a bit?
Photo 2 looks like it is doing the twister..
Did you use a torque wrench HJ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep looks like more new ones should be ordered, mine with 207,000 look better than those do
:shrug:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ, I feel your pain. Remember how mine were so noisy at Windrock last Fall? I replaced them with a set from NAPA and they were quiet till the beginning of summer. Now they squeak, bang, groan - all kinds of :favorites68: noises. No obvious tears like yours but man they're driving me CRAZY! Been thinking about the extended links from JBA - just not sure if that will fix things long-term.

I'm subscribed to see others' thoughts on the bloody things :icon_twisted:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll try another set of the Moog ones since they'll be free just to see if they could work out...hoping I just got a bad pair. Not out any time really to swap them again. Thanks for the input guys!

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep looks like more new ones should be ordered, mine with 207,000 look better than those do
:shrug:
That's what I was thinking when I saw them. Mine has 197k on them and look better than that.

HJ, Where did u get them? U might can swap them out under warranty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Rockauto, I have new ones on the way for a warranty claim.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big of a pita is it to swap them out on rockauto? I buy alot of parts from them, but luckily haven't had to claim warranty. I've always wondered if you could get a warranty exchange from the local store (Advance, AZ, O'Reilly, etc) with a part like Moog or Timken or something. Perhaps someone has tried it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big of a pita is it to swap them out on rockauto? I buy alot of parts from them, but luckily haven't had to claim warranty. I've always wondered if you could get a warranty exchange from the local store (Advance, AZ, O'Reilly, etc) with a part like Moog or Timken or something. Perhaps someone has tried it.
You will need a receipt from that store to warranty it.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that Moog products are becoming more and more defective. I had a Moog Front Bearing that didn't even last 1,000 miles before needing replaced because it was already loose no noise but it was loose. I've heard from others saying they've had ball joints go bad in short amounts of time as well.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a receipt from that store to warranty it.
I figured that's how it would play out. I wasn't sure, as I've had companies tell me to return warranty items to my nearest authorized dealer before(more audio related than replacement parts)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So far it seems good, I'll keep this thread updated.