Your MPGS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to try that nitrogen in the tires to see if that helps at all...

My guess is you'll see pretty minimal gains as the benefits of nitrogen are going to be pretty tangental to gas mileage. There are a few purported benefits to nitrogen filled, but they're pretty slim.

There's some argument about the moisture being a factor of benefit. Powerslave pretty much hits the nail on the head for everything else. Here's a pretty good article on filling tires with nitrogen.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2694/is-it-better-to-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

I like the opener:

Oh, there are plenty of benefits: (1) Cool fluorescent green valve stem caps (assuming your nitrogen vendor has any marketing savvy), which will look sharp with your spinning wheel covers. (2) Bragging rights. OK, you were behind the curve with cell phones, iPods, thong underwear, etc. Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. Now's your chance. (3) Reduced fire danger next time you land your space shuttle or commercial aircraft, and tell me you won't sleep better knowing that.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't, that was proved to be a waste of money... They say, that since nitrogen molecules are bigger, they don't escape the tire as quickly as oxygen molecules, but here's a tip for ya; The air we breath is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, so using an air pump, is pulling in the air we breathe anyway, so what's another 22% making it pure? Nothing at all, you may as well just try helium, to make the tires LIGHTER, so you get better gas millage since the unsprung weight is low, right? That's a joke of course, but someone WILL try it...

You better tie a string to your jeep in case you put too much helium in then, so it won't blow away....:D

I already run a "special blend" of 78% nitrogen/21% oxygen but you left out that other 1% of misc. unknown inert floating around stuff that is the cause of bad gas mileage and global warming and such.......:D

We are all driving 4,200lb Jeeps with the aerodynamics of a brick and we add skids, rock rails, a couple hundred pounds of recovery gear and other crapp and a pack of twinkies and expect the pig to get the good gas mileage of an econobox puddle jumper.........ok meeee too........:D

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are all driving 4,200lb Jeeps with the aerodynamics of a brick and we add skids, rock rails, a couple hundred pounds of recovery gear and other crapp and a pack of twinkies and expect the pig to get the good gas mileage of an econobox puddle jumper.........ok meeee too........:D

Dave

This is the best answer yet
dont forget the fact that the O/P is running 265/70's as well

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I already run a "special blend" of 78% nitrogen/21% oxygen but you left out that other 1% of misc. unknown inert floating around stuff that is the cause of bad gas mileage and global warming and such.......:D

Dave

Well, my Air Machines I have out there, have filters on them, so some of the 1% is not making it all the way through... Co2, Argon, Methane, they probably get in... Global warming, HA!

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you think the 265's were a bad idea? I was kinda wishing I would gotten a shorter fatter tire so it still looks lifted. Mine looks how a Jeep should look rolling off the lot.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you think the 265's were a bad idea? I was kinda wishing I would gotten a shorter fatter tire so it still looks lifted. Mine looks how a Jeep should look rolling off the lot.

bad idea is a matter of opinion
if you do not regear and expect to get good MPG
then yes they are a bad idea

put it like this
I think lifting and putting bigger tires and regearing ect. are a bad idea for any 2wd
it is like putting a skirt on a pig ,it is still a pig
to me if you want a 4X4 then sell the 2wd and get a 4X4
but dont try to make you rig "look like" any thing
we will be getting a new bigger some thing to use as a DD/tow rig for the TJ
I have no plans to even put AT's on it
it is for the highway nothing more it will remain 100% stock and I will only change parts when they go out ,now when the OE parts fail if an upgrade is an option then that is what I will get
but no lift or helper springs or any junk like that when we buy it it will be bought in a form made to do it's job
a 2wd KJ was made to do a job and a lift and bigger tires will not help it do its job
I always look to function over form every time
This is just my opinion

Last edited: