Your MPGS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wht do you guys normally get for gas milage?? I Just lifted my jeep and put some 265/70/16's on it and I am reading all this stuff about 4.10's. I mean I noticed that my jeep does not have all the balls as it did with the tiny stock tires. Looks sweet though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I switched to 265/75 MT/R's and still had the stock gearing(3.73's) I was getting about 8mpg's in town and maybe 16 on the highway.After the 4.10 switch I normally get 10-13mpg's in town now(depending on the season) and have gotten a best of almost 23mpg's on the highway with the same 265/75's.

Shpotty

Reaction score
My Liberty is all stock and I am averaging about 23 MPG on my 95% highway commute.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 22 mpg for me highway, 19 city. Most of my driving is highway, and I stay within a few miles of the speed limit for the most part.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow 8 mpg that *****, I hope that mine is not that bad. I didn't even think about the tires messing up the MPG's that badly...
That was with a recalibrated speedo also.The OEM tires/wheels are about 45lbs,the 265/75 MT/R's on steel rims is just over 90lbs each.That's alot of added rotational weight that drops mpg's fast,regearing is the only way to reduce this effect,sadly 4.10's is the lowest you can go if you have a 4wd KJ but 2wd KJ's can go to 4.56's which is perfect for 32"-33" tires.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I had the lowest gas mileage ever a couple of weeks ago. Just under 14mpg. Next tank I had 15.5 or some such thing-- which is more normal for total city driving for me. Don't know what happened on that 13mpg tank. Got kinda nervous but everything seems ok.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I am getting crappy gas mileage, with 225 16 70s. It is getting better, and my intake will be here by the end of next week. I got a two piece system that I can run down another foot for a true CAI. Next is exhaust work... I am lucky to get 15 MPG city, and 18, 19 highway... I thought I would be pushing 20mpg, won't know till tomorrow, where the gas gauge ends up where it was before I put $20.00 in it, which us about 10 gallons, and I hope to hit 180 miles to work, before going just past half, for 18 MPG. I would like to see 200 miles...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen as low as 13 hand calculated before but that was with very short trips where the engine hardly has time to get over 175F.

Currently I get around 14-15 city and 17-18 hw. It goes up a little when the weather warms up.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 Sport, stock, 75k miles. We bought it last Oct. I've checked the mpg twice on highway trips, and both times were 21 mpg. I'm hoping some warmer weather and synthetic oil help a little.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'03 Limited
65K miles
OME med coils w/OME and Rancho shocks and struts
245/75 MTR's on OE wheels

14-15 city every time
18-20+ highway ,depending on speed and what we have in the Jeep at the time

doing the proper PM is the key to keeping good MPG's when you modify your rig
but any thing over a 245/75 and you need a regear

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My usual city mileage is 12-13mpg... :(

I live in the downtown of a very heavy traffic city and I do very short trips...

My KJ has a roof mount for a tandem bicycle (soon it will have a kayak mount for a tandem kayak :) ), has the skid plate group and I always carry my 48'' farm jack under the back seat and the whole recovery kit (tow straps, shackles, etc. ), a twin-piston heavy duty air compressor, a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit and a lot of other stuff...

Since I have a 42RLE (1st isn't low enough I think), I really want a 4.10 regear... I'm seriously thinking in getting a 8000lbs winch and a rear hitch... so go figure...

The good side is my current highway economy... never less than 21mpg when the road is flat... if it becomes hilly (like the highway to the beach) then I get 18-19mpg... I travel in low traffic hours so i can put the cruise control on 55-65mph depending on the traffic conditions and relax :cool: I wonder if its related to the 42RLE high O/D...

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Im going to try that nitrogen in the tires to see if that helps at all...

No, it doesn't, that was proved to be a waste of money... They say, that since nitrogen molecules are bigger, they don't escape the tire as quickly as oxygen molecules, but here's a tip for ya; The air we breath is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, so using an air pump, is pulling in the air we breathe anyway, so what's another 22% making it pure? Nothing at all, you may as well just try helium, to make the tires LIGHTER, so you get better gas millage since the unsprung weight is low, right? That's a joke of course, but someone WILL try it...