Yes, another Command-Trac question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

entity

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know the limitations of Command-Trac but would like some insight to this little scenario.

It was snowing tonight, turning into more-so slush. While driving on my way home from work tonight, the tires would slide if I accelerated abruptly. Would this scenario be okay for 4x4 PT? I used it on the way home for the first time since owning the Jeep, and experienced no wheel hops or abnormal driving. I did although switch to 2x4 when doing some Michigan left turns.

So basically, is this alright? Less than an inch but 2x4 around corners?

Thanks guy!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing you need is better tires It has to be real deep snow before I ever have to lock mine in. Actually I have only had in locked into 4 wheel drive for snow/ice maybe 5 times in 135000 miles

In your case yes you can get by that way , or the way you are doing it but just be careful and make sure you are not on any dry roads ( without snow/slush/ice

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
First thing you need is better tires It has to be real deep snow before I ever have to lock mine in. Actually I have only had in locked into 4 wheel drive for snow/ice maybe 5 times in 135000 miles

In your case yes you can get by that way , or the way you are doing it but just be careful and make sure you are not on any dry roads ( without snow/slush/ice

I remember one of those times!!!

If you are going on a road, more or less straight with regular curves, it will be less of in issue. You did the right thing ( kicking it back to 2hi) when making hard turns, like a 90 degree turn from a stop light, as that puts more of a bind on things.

I towed 2,500 #'s (D60front, AMC 360, 4 Humvee tires/rims on trailer) about 500 miles on snow-covered pavement with no issues. It was usually about 12-14" deep, but in places south of Cleveland they actuall had one lane plowed down to an inch or so, but it was as slick as crap so I left it in 4Hi. Nothing even got hot. Oh. Maybe because it was 5 degrees, but still...