Yellow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerosshadow

Reaction score
Heya, new 07 KJ owner here. Bought it off my MIL lest it sit there another 3 years until some other dingus bought it or it rusted in half. Me and my rust box are in PA. I needed a utility vehicle since my 4Runner died awhile back and she gave me a pretty good deal on it. Gonna be doing a full service on it, replacing this ground cable https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/dangling-ground-wire.57640/ since mine has corroded in half, and pretty much just using it to move things.
Joined just to see that photo, but will check the forum out more and such.
That said, any advice on maintenance would be greatly appreciated. I am a Honda/Toyota/Ford guy. New to the Chrysler world.
136k on the drivetrain, planning on flushing every single fluid and replacing with full synthetics, possibly replacing the PCV, fuel, transmission, and air filters,
and checking the heater core. I'm losing coolant somehow and from the smell I figure its a pinhole around there. Not sure how common that is..

Anyhoo, thanks!

- Josh

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have an owners manual booklet to refer to re fluids and capacities?
Check in glove box for a slot where book belongs, many miss the manual altogether.
Use only Mopar HOAT coolant ( or Zerex G-05)
If the wrong coolant has ever been added, it requires a complete flush!
Consider doing a coolant @ 15 psi pressure test to hear for a leak.
The flat silver ground cables are very important ! Make repairs as necessary.

Nerosshadow

Reaction score
Do you have an owners manual booklet to refer to re fluids and capacities?
Check in glove box for a slot where book belongs, many miss the manual altogether.
Use only Mopar HOAT coolant ( or Zerex G-05)
If the wrong coolant has ever been added, it requires a complete flush!
Consider doing a coolant @ 15 psi pressure test to hear for a leak.
The flat silver ground cables are very important ! Make repairs as necessary.
Yes, actually just got it from where I remembered it was hidden by the washing machine....not the car.
Since it is mostly water from the presumed heater core leak, I was just gonna flush and fill with Prestone All-Vehicle. Any reason not to? As for the cables, supposedly just for radio noise, but I wouldnt be surprised if the intermittent misfire C-5 has had for more than 5 years is a symptom. I was never convinced it was ever missing anyhow, never did when I was teaching my sister to drive in it. Swapped coils, plugs when it was time, checked harnesses and know it isnt a valve issue. *shrug*
Already finding some QOL stuff for me here though :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Never use Prestone in the Jeep. Best to pressure test system FIRST.
Jeep requires the HOAT coolant & don't mix well with other coolants and can cause water pump failures.
The water pumps with the plastic impellers can get damaged by the use of wrong coolants.
Flush & fill with Mopar HOAT coolant ONLY ( or Zerex G-05) at wallmart.
The flat silver ground cables are very important as they are the main grounds and require repairs if broken.
Post a photo of what your rusted silver flat cables look like...