WTF is up with this Lug Nut on spare tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has rounded edges so the tire iron will not fit over it, i thought of it being one of those lock out lugs, but i thought those actually had keys, and if it s a lock out lug then how the freak do i get it off. I bought this jeep used from the dealer. Thank God i found out about this while i was detailing the Jeep and not trying to change a flat tire.

PS! for those that didn't think of it or don't know when you buy a used car with a spare, make sure that the spare UNDER that tire cover actually has tread on it and not bald like the one they gave to me lol

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone used a hammer to pound a too small 12 point socket on there. Muckle on with some vise grips or something and get it off. Or try an 11/16 12 pt socket. The Mopar lugs are crap, a standard conical seat lug nut with a cheapo chrome slip on cover. Get the McGards.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone used a hammer to pound a too small 12 point socket on there. Muckle on with some vise grips or something and get it off. Or try an 11/16 12 pt socket. The Mopar lugs are crap, a standard conical seat lug nut with a cheapo chrome slip on cover. Get the McGards.

You think? You sure it's not one of those crazy security lugs? Hmm, maybe you're right. Methinks there may be some channel locks or a set of vicegrips in your future.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure. Look at the spacing between the dents and the deformation at the base of the lug nut. It's a stock mopar piece o crap lug that got trashed.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure. Look at the spacing between the dents and the deformation at the base of the lug nut. It's a stock mopar piece o crap lug that got trashed.

Those crappy stock lugs are merely a cheap aluminium shell or 'cover' on the real (albeit ugly) lug. If he could get that cheap cover off, that would prolly solve the problem.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thanks guys you were right, it was a freaking cap, good ol' pair of vice grips and it came off with ease

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my KJ was $30ish thousand when I bought it new. If I got what I paid for then I'm pretty sure we all got screwed.

Naw..you got a black one.......:D

Dave

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont mean to hijack but if somebody wanted to buy new lug nuts what size would we look for ?
all the caps on mine are falling off too.
whats a good source to buy these ?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul

Summit online will be way cheaper than CanadianTire, 1/2 20RH. Got my McGuards from them for like 40ish bucks, came with 16 lugs and a set of wheel locks. Bought 3 more from CanadianTire for the spare. They're solid, well plated and guaranteed not to rust.

Ian

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the head's up - I recently had a cap come off of one lug and wanted to replace at some point. I figure since I work in the D (Detroit), a set of wheel locks wouldn't be a bad idea either, especially with that spare just hanging out there.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply........

just called the dealer and they want $12 ea. , thats nuts.

summit sounds like a good deal though.full set plus locks, not bad, will have to look at that.
i have 4 brand new that jeep never used, i guess cause they put wheel locks on they werent used, but the rest are all rusting and i have three that the caps have fallen off of and 3 of 5 of my locks are cracked at the lock design,thankfully they are not on tight.

goig to summit website now.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ ptsb5a, summit online is coming up as a ski and snowboard shop.

obviously at wrong site, do u have proper address.

NEVER MIND, u meant summit racing, i found it......DUHH.

wow, $40.69 for the set, 20 lug nuts,4 wheel locks with key and new chromed valve stems.

and guaranteed for life.

Attachments

• mcg-84530_w_m.jpg
    mcg-84530_w_m.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks that what i will buy, just editing my above post with that info in case is needed by anyone else.