Wrong Oil now low pressure light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiedhas

Reaction score
2004 3.7L. Bonehead move: I bought Castrol HD30 for my last oil change. Drove for a few days and the low press light came on. Just changed oil to 5w30 with new filter. Light came on again after a short drive. Did I damage the oil pump by using the HD30 oil? Something worse?

wiedhas

Reaction score
Could be a coincidence but the timing is suspect. She has 134k miles. I guess I can swap the sensor and see if it returns to normal. The HD oil is sae30 so I don't think that this could of done any real harm (although it's a thicker oil)?? She is not overheating or running rough.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
It'll be thicker when cold than a 5w or 10w-30 but you are in CA so I doubt it has anything to do with the light. My sensor went a while back. Usually they will leak a bit too. If you hadn't changed yours yet good possibility its just acting up. Make sure you get one for a switch not a gauge. I used a Mopar.

wiedhas

Reaction score
Thanks for the calming advice! I'll replace the sensor. Cheers.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks for the calming advice! I'll replace the sensor. Cheers.

Keep us posted.

You can always have the pressure checked professionally for sanity sake but if its really a pressure issue and sporadic it's likely tough to get it to do it when a mechanic is looking. Could set up a real gauge just to be sure.

Low oil pressure = bad things.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, all we had to use was single grade oil, and 30w was the all around viscosity used. Multi grade oils were developed to give the engine better oiling upon start up in severe cold climates ("thinner" oil pumps faster), plus it helps the frigid engine to turn over easier than it would with straight 30. The 30w you used did NO harm to the engine, you could have left it in.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, all we had to use was single grade oil, and 30w was the all around viscosity used. Multi grade oils were developed to give the engine better oiling upon start up in severe cold climates ("thinner" oil pumps faster), plus it helps the frigid engine to turn over easier than it would with straight 30. The 30w you used did NO harm to the engine, you could have left it in.

Agree. Especially in hot California weather where he is.

Dave

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember in high school, if the temperatures got down to 0-10, I'd go out between classes and start up my truck and let it run for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, by the end of the day, the thing would groan and barely start. Even at those extremes, the 30w oil didn't do any engine damage.

wiedhas

Reaction score
Got home today and this is the story. I changed the oil over the weekend for my mother in law as a favor. Having never used the HD30 stuff before I thought it was the viscosity that perhaps was the culprit for the light. She just took the car in to the shop today where they diagnosed a bad pressure switch. $45 for the part and $180 in labor!!!!! I called a local parts shop when I heard how much they charged her and they quoted me $13.99 for the part. I don't know how hard it is to swap this part out but can't imagine it would be more than an hour??

Anyway, the timing of the switch giving up the ghost and the oil change was too weird. Thanks for the help.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got home today and this is the story. I changed the oil over the weekend for my mother in law as a favor. Having never used the HD30 stuff before I thought it was the viscosity that perhaps was the culprit for the light. She just took the car in to the shop today where they diagnosed a bad pressure switch. $45 for the part and $180 in labor!!!!! I called a local parts shop when I heard how much they charged her and they quoted me $13.99 for the part. I don't know how hard it is to swap this part out but can't imagine it would be more than an hour??

Anyway, the timing of the switch giving up the ghost and the oil change was too weird. Thanks for the help.

Mine was more than that due to the fact they had to drill it out...

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score

Ouch! 45 is okay, mine was around 50 a couple years back but 180 is steep. Good thing is it's likely fixed. It is tight in there (just above the oil filter) but can be done in 15 minutes if you do it while changing the oil. I seem to remember the connector being a bear since it's tight and all greased up.