Wrangler MT/Rs and gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the MT/Rs get substantially lower gas mileage, or do they wear really fast on the highway? Is it worth hanging on to a second set of wheels for long road trips?

Thanks in advance,
Russ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ...

I have 31x10.5 BFG M/T's on the TJ. They started life with 19/32" of tread. After 43,300 miles they are down to 8/32". As you can see in the pictures, there is still enough tread left for highway use, but just about at the end of their off road life. I got similar wear out of the BFG A/T's I had on there before the M/T's.

Gas mileage... yep, it goes down a few MPG, but what the heck, it's a Jeep thing, you have to give up something for off road capability.

If it was me, for the KJ, unless you're doing ********* trails, I'd stay with the A/T's. They're quieter and a little smoother on the road while still beefy enough for the trails.

As for a second set, I wouldn't bother with it. Most of your driving is on road and IMO 43,000 miles is good wear for a heavy duty tire such as the M/T's.

AJ

New 31x10.5 BFG M/T's with 19/32" of tread...

You must be registered for see images

Same tires with 43,300 miles and 8/32" of tread left...

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks AJ, all fine and reasonable arguments. I'm thinking that when it comes right down to the actual decision, however, it'll be what Mary calls the "parking lot intimidation" factor that will sell the deal. We'll see if rational thought will prevail, but, ya know, they just look cool.

Russ

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my original stock tires/wheels for Moabs and MT/Rs a year or so ago.

Spent a year getting right around 200 miles before my low gas light came on. ('02, so smaller tank than newer models)

I just worked a deal and ended up with stocks again as a second set of tires. I put the MT/Rs in the basement for off-roading and put the stocks on for daily driving. First 2 tanks of gas went to 225 before the low gas light came on. That's almost a 10% increase. Sure' it's only about $6 per fill up more efficient, but that adds up when you refil twice a week.

When the Wrangler ST(?) that come on the stock rims are dead, i'll put some BFG ATs or Revos on so they aren't useless offroad if I end up in a situation I wasn't planning for.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my original stock tires/wheels for Moabs and MT/Rs a year or so ago.

Spent a year getting right around 200 miles before my low gas light came on. ('02, so smaller tank than newer models)

I just worked a deal and ended up with stocks again as a second set of tires. I put the MT/Rs in the basement for off-roading and put the stocks on for daily driving. First 2 tanks of gas went to 225 before the low gas light came on. That's almost a 10% increase. Sure' it's only about $6 per fill up more efficient, but that adds up when you refil twice a week.

When the Wrangler ST(?) that come on the stock rims are dead, i'll put some BFG ATs or Revos on so they aren't useless offroad if I end up in a situation I wasn't planning for.

Wow GRIS!! I run the Cragar Wheels and 265/70 BFG's and can hit about 230 before the low gas light illuminates. You know what! Run some SeaFoam through the TB and maybe next fill up. I swear your mileage will jump up after a week.

But the MTR's definitely decrease MPG. I wouldn't mind a pair of Moabs and MTR's though :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy I know where there is a set of MTRs for sale LOL Bought a set up of Moabs and tires there in that MICHIGAN STATE, only wanted the MOABS

Tom

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot MoladoGuy.

Don't forget that I also have the giant sail on my roof and about 300# of permanent extra weight inside from air system, boxes, tools, etc...

And I'm regeared.

I ran Lucas stuff through the gas tank for about 6 months. I forget what it's called other than "gas addative" but you put 3 oz. in every fill-up to clean all the goodies. Lucas is a pretty reputible company, so I tried it.

Didn't seem to help much, but maybe I just can't see the benefits it provided.

What do I do with the SeaFoam? Just spray it into the TB directly? Can I just take off my cone filter and shoot it into the air tube? Never used SeaFoam even though I've seen it mentioned on here a LOT. Are there different kinds? if so, which would be used in this application? Do I just spray it in there and leave it sit for a while? Or spray it while it's running so I moves through the system quicker?

THANKS!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do I do with the SeaFoam? Just spray it into the TB directly? Can I just take off my cone filter and shoot it into the air tube? Never used SeaFoam even though I've seen it mentioned on here a LOT. Are there different kinds? if so, which would be used in this application? Do I just spray it in there and leave it sit for a while? Or spray it while it's running so I moves through the system quicker?

THANKS!

You can pick up a can of SeaFoam at your local auto parts place for $5.99 or $6.99. It comes in a white can and has big letters SEAFOAM so it can't be missed. :)

I poured the SeaFoam directly into my TB (removed the air tube) while the vehicle is running. I poured slowly while opening the TB slightly to suck it down. When you get to about 2/3 of the can start pouring a little more at a time. Your engine should start choking, and many people let the engine die, but I stopped when it nearly stalled. I turned it all off, waited a good 20 minutes, and started it back up. People said they get tons of smoke but this time I did not (just a little white smoke) but you will smell it. Within just a few days I jumped 1.5 MPG. It's not gonna add MPG to your engine, it just gets your engine back to how it should burn fuel which will directly improve your MPG.