Would you want an aftermarket rear bumper WITHOUT a heavy tire carrier?

If you were to buy an aftermarket rear bumper would you:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boiler

Reaction score
As many of you know I'm currently working on a rear bumper design. One area where I'm having an issue is maintaining clearance for the stock tire mounting. In order to simplify and strengthen the design, as well as providing better aesthetics, I'm contemplating making the swing out tire carrier a standard required part of the design. The stock tire carrier is just too low and requires jacking with the bumper to allow its use.

These prices are truly hypothetical: If you were in the market for a high quality rear bumper setup, would you prefer to spend $800 for just the rear bumper with lights and recovery points, or would you spend $1200 for a fully loaded bumper with a swing-out arm equipped with a high-clearance spare tire carrier, jerry-can & hi-lift mounts? The jerry-can and hi-lift mounts could be opted out for a small savings.

I just hate to make the fully loaded bumper design less awesome, to accomodate an option that maybe nobody would want. Your votes and opinions either way would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I would like a bumper with tire mount,mainly to get tire off tail gate.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would rather see a rear steel bumper design that is far enough out that in a rear collision, would hit the bumper first not the spare on rear, taking out tailgate and possibly glass.

Boiler

Reaction score
The Rock Lizard Kamoto is what Id like to have. Except with TWO five gallon jeep cans.
The problem is two cans don't fit back there very neatly, unless you turn them on edge, in which case they will be the point of first contact. It could easily be done though, spinning them sideways and having two.

I would rather see a rear steel bumper design that is far enough out that in a rear collision, would hit the bumper first not the spare on rear, taking out tailgate and possibly glass.
I understand your feelings but that is a DEEP bumper considering some folks are running tires that are 10" plus wide. You're talking about a bumper that is at least 6 inches back farther than stock.

Best way to solve this problem if you want to is to relocate the spare.

Though, if you're lifted and have a high clearance tire carrier, chances are most vehicles will hit well under the tire, contacting the bumper first. You'd just have to avoid semi's and lifted trucks. And even those are going to cause more concern than a dented tailgate!

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming :)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the gov't pays me quite well to do what I do. The $1200 USD would be no big deal. And, of course, I'd like a loaded one:) Thanks Boiler for asking our input. Can't wait to see a finished product. And, um, what do you mean by "lights"? Back-up light? I was seriously considering the Trailready bumper up until they told me that they couldn't guarantee that it would fit an '05. Then... I short listed the RL bumper but unfortunately RL packed up for some good reasons. So, please go ahead and fill the void left by RL and fab us all a fabulous rear bumper.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
rear Trailready will fit all models, no difference in the rear really
great looking bumper

Now back on topic

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to see the wheel carrier as an option. Don't make the bumper fit the stock spare location, but also do allow us to decide if we want the carrier. My wheels have 4" backspace, so i might not need it. Even if it didn't fit, $400 could get me a nice roof rack to put my spare in... or I might decide to get the carrier.

Thanks for considering making these!

Boiler

Reaction score
I have 4" backspacing too. Mine would be a line to line fit with the back of the bumper. I can probably make about 1/4" clearance for a 4" backspaced 245/75 R16, then require a shim, washers behind the mount, something to get fatter 4" backspaced tires on...

I'll keep working on it.headscratch.gif

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking as well. Turning two cans on their edge. I spoke with the RL guy and he said no problem with that. Just as an example.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Quote:"I understand your feelings but that is a DEEP bumper considering some folks are running tires that are 10" plus wide. You're talking about a bumper that is at least 6 inches back farther than stock.

Best way to solve this problem if you want to is to relocate the spare.

Though, if you're lifted and have a high clearance tire carrier, chances are most vehicles will hit well under the tire, contacting the bumper first. You'd just have to avoid semi's and lifted trucks. And even those are going to cause more concern than a dented tailgate!
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming" :)[/QUOTE]

Reply:
Why not design two larger or available rubber bumperettes that would stick out far enough to protect the tire sticking out, on the steel or aluminum bumper. That is what should have been on the stock bumper in the first place, and the parts are on the back of every 18 wheel trailer, for when they are backing into loading docks.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Why not design two larger or available rubber bumperettes that would stick out far enough to protect the tire sticking out, on the steel or aluminum bumper. That is what should have been on the stock bumper in the first place, and the parts are on the back of every 18 wheel trailer, for when they are backing into loading docks.

It's bad enough ThunderbirdJunkie drags his hitch everywhere he goes as it is, he doesn't need any extra help dragging shit around.

What ThunderbirdJunkie would like is one with a tire carrier that is optional. He has a few ideas for stuff if you'd like to brainstorm in the next couple weeks.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Here in Richmond, B.C. it wouldn't matter what kind of bumper you have!
I swear the drivers here watch "The Dukes of Hazard" too many times
and manage to launch their vehicles in ways that just perplex the mind!
I've seen rear end collisions that here just don't make any sense at all!
At times you are better off driving an armoured personal carrier!

But ya, a fully loaded bumper would be my first choice if I were to buy one.