Would y'all trust a 30 dollar torque wrench for tightenting lug nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna rotate my tires and do not want to break the bank buying a torque wrench for upwards of a hundred or hundreds of dollars. Would anyone trust a cheap 20-30 dollar one for lug nut application? You know that old saying, you get what you pay for. I am sure it applies here as well.

Example is one below.

Duralast/10-150 ft./lbs. range chrome vanadium torque wrench (79-142) | Torque Wrench | AutoZone.com

If not, do you think simply snugging them with a regular lug wrench will suffice? I know the service manual for my '04 V6 3.7 states '...Have an authorized service technician check that the torque is 85-110 ft. lbs. (115-149 N·m) as soon as possible.'

Looking forward to the responses.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it isn't "accurate" atleast the torqe will be even on all lugs and keep your rotors from warping from uneven tighteni g in the worse case scenario.

Tyical error of a affordable wrench is 4%. double that is still sub 10 ft lbs on a lug nut and better then eyeballing it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4 of them.

2 Harbor Freight 1/2" and 3/8". Don't ask me why I have them.....The 1/2" drive one stays in the jeep in case I need to change a wheel/tire. They were only 10 bucks and seem to work but I don't like the feel of them. I suppose if you were going to keep one in the jeep for checking wheels it would be ok.

Also have 2 Craftsman ones that I have had for many years. These 2 are the old clicker style. They work good and are my 2 favorites and they stay in the garage.

Dave

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

pfftt!! put star on nut torx by hand :smokin: