Would replacing stock speakers work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have a stock AM/FM/CD Player with stock speakers. I have my bass and treble set up to +6 and my moderate listening volume is usually level 20-22. I am pretty satisfied with it up to that point; I do not need enough audio to wake up neighbors at night or draw attention. But there are times after a stressful day one wishes to blast the volume to the max. When I crank up the volume, the bass begins to distort (of course). I'm not a car audio expert, so I was wondering: If I were to simply replace the 6.5" door speakers (with Polk db650's, for example), would the sound quality become a tad bit better (not perfect) as I crank up the volume? In other words, would I be able to hear moderate/satisfactory music at a higher level of volume than I am now?
I'm not looking for something absolutely perfect, but just enough to reach a certain high volume level without distortions. Thanks.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
I just have a stock AM/FM/CD Player with stock speakers. I have my bass and treble set up to +6 and my moderate listening volume is usually level 20-22. I am pretty satisfied with it up to that point; I do not need enough audio to wake up neighbors at night or draw attention. But there are times after a stressful day one wishes to blast the volume to the max. When I crank up the volume, the bass begins to distort (of course). I'm not a car audio expert, so I was wondering: If I were to simply replace the 6.5" door speakers (with Polk db650's, for example), would the sound quality become a tad bit better (not perfect) as I crank up the volume? In other words, would I be able to hear moderate/satisfactory music at a higher level of volume than I am now?
I'm not looking for something absolutely perfect, but just enough to reach a certain high volume level without distortions. Thanks.

(welcome) to the site!

Whenever you replace stock speakers with aftermarkets, generally it will always sound better. However, do you have the "premium speakers", because if you do then they have amps built into them, which you would loose if you replaced them; BUT there is a way to take the amps off the stock speakers and attach them to aftermarkets with a little time and patience. The amps wouldn't directly bolt on to the new speakers so you might have to use double sided tape to hold them somewhere in the door. Then all you would have to do is connect the amps output to the stock speakers with a little soldering-it's a simple task, just busy work. OR you could replace the factory deck with a more powerful deck and then just ditch the factory amps.

Bennett

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. No, I only have the factory stock speakers; not the Premium Infinity ones, so I guess I'm good to go by purchasing aftermarkets. They won't be the ultimate, perfect solution, but at least they'll sound better than they do now. Who knows? Maybe in the future I can change the deck and maybe even add an amp, which'll put these new aftermarkets to full throttle.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Then yes it'll be an easy swap.

Also you may want to look into getting component speakers (door speaker and a tweeter). So that you can put the tweeter up in your dash. Since they sound a little better.

Bennett