Would like Cruise Automatically On at Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am used to having a *******/off switch on cruise control, not a momentary switch that the Liberty has. Can the computer be programmed to automatically put the Cruise in the "On" mode at start?
Lewis

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the on/off cruise button did just the same like a switch (on/off). The speed regulator stops when you interfere with the cruise like hitting the break, speeding up on your own, etc...but its not until you press the on/off button that the "cruise" indicator shuts off.

P.S.
Lewis = good name \:D/

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does stay on once you turn it on, but it goes off when you shut off the ignition and you have to turn it back on again when you restart. I havnt heard of a workaround for this one yet.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MaldoGuy,
The cruise needs to be turned on each time the Liberty is started, that is what I want to work around.
Don't always get called Lewis, sometimes people use words with more than four letters though.

Lewis

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tulsa said:
MaldoGuy,
The cruise needs to be turned on each time the Liberty is started, that is what I want to work around.
Don't always get called Lewis, sometimes people use words with more than four letters though.

Lewis

LOL...

As for the cruise I never noticed that until you just mentioned it here. It would be nice to if there was a programmable method that can be done to program a set speed so when you turn your vehicle back on all you have to do is hit the program key rather than setting it all up manually again.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard its very dangerous to have the cruise set to ON when your not using it. Ive read about stories of the Cherokees cruise kicking in when the Jeep was sitting still. :-s

Its best to just leave it off when its not being used. O:)

At least you dont have to hit the O/D off button everytime you get in the Jeep. ](*,)

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to restate my point. I don't want the cruise to come on with a speed value set, just to be on so that when I reach the desired speed simply hitting the set button will engage the cruise. This may be a safety issue, but my Jeep is the first vehicle without a positive on/off button to control the cruise.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems silly to me to go through all the work that it would take to make it happen just to save the time of pushing a momentary button, but it's possible.

All the wires you'll need will be at the steering column. You'll need to tap into the starter wire (the wire that has +12V when the key is in the start position) and connect it to pin#85 of a relay. Take your DMM and probe the wires (do not use a test light) until you find the wire that gets a signal from the on/off switch of the CC. Most likely, it will me a multiplex circuit (one wire has many functions) and it will be a negative signal (your DMM will reveal this). The wire may read a voltage lower than 12V and you'll need to note this so you can get the appropriate resistor (were you paying attention in science when you covered Ohm's Law?).

Assuming the signal is negative, connect pins#86 & #30 to ground. Pin#87 connects to the resistor that may be needed and then to the wire you have found. If the signal is positive, pin#85 and #30 connect to each other.

You may also find it necessary to diode-isolate the relay from the CC wire.

Dude, seriously, it's not worth the trouble.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLRockies,
Thanks for the info. I belive I have an OK grasp of Ohm's Law, I am an electrical engineer. I also know that I could use a relay with a momentary close on delay after power up to get the job done, my hope was that the a setting could be changed in the appropriate control module via the CAN bus. Thanks for the heads up.
Lewis

Members online