Would it be wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Lately I've been looking at the new JK's and I really would like to have one. If I were to trade in my KJ on one, I would strip it down back to stock before I traded it and part out some of the stuff to you guys hopefully. I was thinking about all the things I'd take off like my KC's, roof rack, tow hitch, wheel locks, husky liners, seat covers, WesWay Lift, k&n, silverstars, tires, cargo shelf, cross bars, and maybe even the skids. Would it be wrong of me to sell my skids when the Renegade came with them? Would I be screwing the person that bought it out of the jeeps factory option? I think I would be helping one of you guys out by offering some factory skids at a decent price but I would be pissed if I bought it used again and it didn't come with the mopar skids... What do you guys think?

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's up to the potential buyer to check for that stuff. I think it's a given when buying a Jeep that you should check for modifications/parts removal prior to handing the money over.

With that said, Clyde Frog will buy your shelf :D

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I think it's up to the potential buyer to check for that stuff. I think it's a given when buying a Jeep that you should check for modifications/parts removal prior to handing the money over.

With that said, Clyde Frog will buy your shelf :D

haha ok you've got dibs on the shelf, if i decide to trade lol. but i agree so i would probably sell the skids.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got dibs on your roof rack, kc's (harness as well please), skids, and husky liners, hell you can be my one stop shop hahaha

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If used car dealers like you are like the ones here, they will just type Jeep Liberty Renegade into blue book, or look it up in that little book they have, and go off of that.

75% of the car dealers/mechanics here (who aren't Jeep mechanics or Jeepers themselves) don't know Renegades come with skids.

Jeep dealer might give you a lower price because it's missing the skids though. They'd probably check.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Skids weren't standard on Rene's... so that wounldn't deduct value really.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
i got dibs on your roof rack, kc's (harness as well please), skids, and husky liners, hell you can be my one stop shop hahaha

Well, I probably wouldn't sell the lights, If I did it would have to be for the right price. The roof rack I definitely would. I made the harness because I wanted a custom fit and it is full 12 gauge wire, you'd be more than welcome to have it with the lights if I sold them. For the rack, with all the lights and wiring, the skids, and husky liners you'd probably need to send me about 600 bucks. lol

If used car dealers like you are like the ones here, they will just type Jeep Liberty Renegade into blue book, or look it up in that little book they have, and go off of that.

75% of the car dealers/mechanics here (who aren't Jeep mechanics or Jeepers themselves) don't know Renegades come with skids.

Jeep dealer might give you a lower price because it's missing the skids though. They'd probably check.

I'm not sure but I really figure the skids are worth more than what they would give me for them anyway.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
But if they check the VIN, they'd be able to see it came from the factory with skids.

true but I doubt the idiots that run our dealership would know. Oh well nothings happening right away anyway. How much would the skids be worth though if I sold them on here?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skids were part of "the off-road package" A Renne or sport or even possibly a ltd could have it or not. It would show on the build sheet. That said, sell them if you wish. They are yours and if you trade it in the dealer doesn't care. If the next owner wants to off-road and gets a build sheet and checks, the dealer will get new ones installed to make the sale. If the new owner doesn't care about going off-road then it would not matter. (the OEM skids don't cost much anyway)

Dave

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also be interested in buying the skids....assuming you decide to part them out.

99.9% of all dealers will run your trade through Kelly Blue Book, then deduct a percentage from their stated trade-in value, and that's what they will offer you.
You need to run it through KBB yourself and walk in there with the print out showing trade in value, it's a bargaining chip.
It's usually better to remove obvious modifications that may effect resale for the dealer....(lifts higher than a leveling kit, oversized tires, specialty tires like aggressive mud treads, aftermarket steel bumpers, winches, and aftermarket lighting)....
The sad truth is, your KJ will likely be resold to a teenage girl heading for college, or as a family mall crawler, if you take away the dealer's ability to resell it to that market segment, he has to compensate himself for that, and that means less money towards your new JK.

Trading in is far more convenient, but if you want to unload your KJ as is, you'd do much better selling it yourself to someone who's looking for an off road daily driver that can appreciate the value of your modifications....

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be potentially be interested in the hitch. And the backup lights if you sold them seperate.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to call my local dealer today to finally order the rear spring isolators but if they do not have them I will take yours from the wesway lift.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao. It's like one of those movies with a super star and they show all of the girl fans ganging up on him and ripping everything off of him :p Your Libby is famous

we just want its parts:D

I had the dealer order the isolators since we have an account with them cause of a couple of the work vans.

Back to the topic at hand, if you were selling private party I would definitely leave the skids on but at a dealership I would contemplate taking them off. Skids and the Renegade in general are the two things I regret not getting when I got my libby.