Worn clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to identify a worn clutch?

How can i tell if my clutch assembly on my jeep is worn...been told by the garage it needs replacing..

My 6 speed manual '05 jeep has 41k miles on it.

Which parts will I need to change? Should I go OEM or is there something beefier?

Last edited:

KCJeep

Reaction score
There are a few ways like excessive clutch chatter going in or putting it gear and it goes no where. Sometimes you may slip out of gear when going up a hill under hard throttle. If you are going to do the work then you do it all. Not sure on what all the parts are like pressure plate, clutch disc, and so on.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's low mileage for a clutch replacement. Is all your driving in stop and go traffic? Even then I am suspicious. Last couple of clutches I had to replace would slip at highway speeds in top gear when I accelerated. One way to test the clutch for chatter or slipping - start off in 2nd gear. Whatever is wrong with it will show up then. BTW a slipping clutch is not an immediate failure. If it is slipping today, you will not have to replace it tomorrow.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
41K is really early for replacing the clutch unless you do some extreme driving. How do they even know that you need a new clutch, it's not like that is a visable part they can see when doing an oil change. If you don't notice a difference in the way the libby is driving then I'm thinking they are looking to get 600.00 bucks out of you for parts and labor. The parts I replaced when I did mine at 100,000 was clutch, plate, through-out, and fork.