6spd What clutch to buy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep's been a chittering and chattering more lately so i'm thinking it's time to get a clutch ready and handy.

^^ link to clutch kits
which kit is OEM? Sachs frequently shows up as OE for the FWD cars.
LUK generally makes as a good product as Sachs, but it's $69 (50%) more than Sachs.
unless Exedy or Valeo have some massive improvement in durability, I wasn't going to consider them.
not sure about and never heard of some of the other brands.

probably will pick up a flywheel as well, just in case...
^^ link to flywheels
thinking LUK in that regard.

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good question, posting to follow along in here.

I got lucky with a tj in the past, had horrible chatter, thought for sure I needed to replace the clutch. Hydraulics failed couple months after, replaced those and what a new jeep it was after that, I don't know if I'll get that lucky again lol. TJ crowd really enjoyed luk for a direct replacement, that will be what I'll end up going for when the time comes.

I am guilty of cheaping out on certain parts I can replace easily (my china wheel bearing going strong 18 months so far) but a clutch is not one I want to roll the dice with doing that job over.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the not cheaping out (I bought the "expensive" Victor Reinz rear main seals for the convertible) on certain parts, but as I said SACHS is frequently the OE for chryslers.

and the hydraulics have been replaced due to a failure of the master cylinder rod.
I'm figuring the clutch will go sooner rather than later, since I tow and plow (the latter is quite ******* a clutch). I figure at 90k miles I've got the equivalent of 150k of wear on it.

Last edited:

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a pressure washing trailer often thats about 3200 lbs empty tank or 4000 full, luckily florida has no real hills, at least south fl where I'm at.

I couldn't find anything on quick searching for it, I wonder if anyone makes a nice medium duty clutch almost what the kevlar performance on rockauto states, and if it would even be worth it?

Granted stock has been working fine as far as grip and engagement, in the past had mustangs and ls1's where the clutch options were a plenty to choose from lol.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a company that was making custom clutches for the SRT-4, specifically dual disc clutches. We had a conversation about making a clutch for the jeep, one that did away with the dual mass and went to the traditional solid flywheel sprung disc hub setup with a standard flat surface. It was... a lot.

Members online

No members online now.