New bad clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenlib

Reaction score
How's it going everyone,this is my first time,first day and first question.
I recently purchased an 02' liberty Sport with a 5 speed manny ******.
The truck has 124xxx miles on it and the doucher, (doucher for various reason's) who sold it to me claimed that the clutch had been replaced in 2020 and only had about 3000 miles on it. I went on a little trip to Lake Havasu from L.A. in it which is under 650 miles round trip just days after purchasing it and right as I got back home the F@*#_ing clutch starts slipping? The gears all work smoothly 1,2,3,4,5 and reverse moving,or sitting still but the clutch slips in all gears? Also the first thing I noticed when I bought it was a slight rumbling sound @ idle until I pushed the clutch in , then the rumbling went away. It still has the same symptoms now as far as that goes now as it did before the slippage. Is it possible my clutch ***** cylinder is not retracting the ***** cylinder piston all the way back into it's little ***** cylinder hole thus causing it to slip? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The slight rumbling sound that goes away when you step on the clutch is a worn throw-out bearing symptom.

I bought an Opel GT that needed a clutch and found the pressure plate installed backwards. It only wore on one side and didn't last long.

Frankenlib

Reaction score
What you are saying is helpful because I'm leaning towards the doucher lied about the "new clutch I" being installed 3650 miles ago,seems more like 30650 miles ago.the pressure plate being backwards theory makes sense too though. What I forgot to mention is that with all this slippage I have not once smelled any clutch burn ? Is it because maybe the pressure plate slipping does less damage to the disco than the flywheel does when the clutch is fully pressed/engaged against it?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ clutch flywheel is not flat...it has a slight curve in it!

The Service manual tells you how you can remove slight scratches on it with Emory cloth but the flywheel must never be machined flat!

The clutch friction plate must be the correct one to match the flywheel.

I bet some previous owner did not know about this or chose to ignore the facts!

I have replaced the clutch on my 2002 Export CRD twice with no issues!

Could also be the throw-out bearing!

Download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manual here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What you are saying is helpful because I'm leaning towards the doucher lied about the "new clutch I" being installed 3650 miles ago,seems more like 30650 miles ago.the pressure plate being backwards theory makes sense too though. What I forgot to mention is that with all this slippage I have not once smelled any clutch burn ? Is it because maybe the pressure plate slipping does less damage to the disco than the flywheel does when the clutch is fully pressed/engaged against it?
There is no way you can install a pressure plate backwards , no way at all
so remove that thought first
My vote without hearing the sounds it is supposedly making is throw out bearing
You must be registered for see images attach

Clutch disc on left, pressure plate on right, so that we are talking about the same parts
clutch discs have two sides, one side contacts the pressure plate other side flywheel
in this picture the pressure plate shown is the side that would go towards the transmission
unless KJ pressure plates are somehow totally different from any other vehicle since I have yet to have to do one in my shop

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible to install the clutch disc the wrong way around on some vehicles......when I was young and stupid....I am no longer young...I did this on my 1984 BMW E323 6 cylinder. o_O

Vehicle did not move an inch so it was a case of start all over again!

Definitely worth reading the 2002 Service Manual as it describes how to measure the curve on the flywheel with a straight-edge to see if it is within specs...does not have much of a curve actually but there must be a reason for having the curve! ;)

OldJoe

Reaction score
Since we're talking clutches, does anyone make a heavy duty clutch? I have an '03 KJ.

Latest posts

Members online