Word of caution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a month ago my fog lights stopped working but I didnt think anything about it since they started working again. Tonight on the way back to school they stopped working and never came back on. I was worried that either the BCM was going bad or the stalk was bad.

Got back to school to find that the fuse for the fogs was alittle melted. A new 20amp fuse fixed it but Im going to be taking the 65watt bulbs out and putting the stock 55watt back in. Anyone that has modded the 65watt fogs to fit in the stock housing may want to think twice about them. Mine have been in for about two years problem free till now.

(also on lost)

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa... That kinda makes you think "I guess that's why they didn't put 65ers there.." Glad you spotted early without any serious problems.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Lucky for you the fuse did it's job, otherwise we might be reading a completely different thread right now!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that using higher wattage bulbs with stock wiring and housings was a bad idea so I have never tried it. I have seen some people melt their wiring doing it. I have always used stock wattages.

Good thing it didn't do any more damage.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people on LOST are saying it may just be an isolated event, but idk. They are also saying that the stock bulbs are not 55watt but a lower wattage. Tjkj says he is using 100wat bulbs with no problems.

Idk, I am fine with the stock bulbs so Im putting those back in. Something was causing the fuse to get hot and idk what else it could be besides to much load. It could also be a bad connection but Ive never touched that fuse and there was no corrosion.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
some people on LOST are saying it may just be an isolated event, but idk. They are also saying that the stock bulbs are not 55watt but a lower wattage. Tjkj says he is using 100wat bulbs with no problems.

Idk, I am fine with the stock bulbs so Im putting those back in. Something was causing the fuse to get hot and idk what else it could be besides to much load. It could also be a bad connection but Ive never touched that fuse and there was no corrosion.

Blake......Make sure your fuse is tight in the socket and you cannot wiggle it at all. If there is the sleightest bit of play in it = not good. If there is, a quick fix is to VERY CAREFULLY bend the two metal prongs with your fingers, not a BFH - - VERY SLEIGHTLY in opposite directions. Then put the fuse back in. Check the wireing where it goes into the back of the lights to make sure you have good connections and no bare spot. I don't think it is a ground if it happens once a year. I'm sure you checked all this out so don't mind me.

I'm with 67customs about not using higher wattage lights unless you run heavier wire.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill check that out dave. It was in the parking lot and I couldnt get my door open enough to see the tabs. Its possible they are bent apart some.

Latest posts

Members online