Won't go back into 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMReyna

Reaction score
We had a bit of snow the other week, I drove it to the gas station to fill up my kerosene jug in FULL TIME. When my wife got in it the next day, she said it wouldn't go back into 2WD. At the time, I just assumed maybe it got quite a bit of snow packed under there and got stuck. Well, the snow has melted and I got under there to check it out. Nothing looks out of the norm, no broken brackets or cables. It stays in PART TIME, and still moves to all the other 4WD options, but will not go into 2WD. When you pull it back into what should be neutral, its shows 4 Low, and it won't go back any farther. I did a search, but nothing came up, no matter how I worded the problem. Has anybody ran into this problem? Is this something that I can repair(I do 99% of my mechanical repairs), or will this require a trip to a trans shop? BTW, its a 04 Limited.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your message is a little muddled. When you say it won't go back, do you mean the LEVER won't move back into 2wd, or that when it does move to 2wd, the sensor still reads that it's in 4wd?

AMReyna

Reaction score
Your message is a little muddled. When you say it won't go back, do you mean the LEVER won't move back into 2wd, or that when it does move to 2wd, the sensor still reads that it's in 4wd?

When its all the way down, where it should be in 2wd, its still in "part time", at first I thought it just might be the sensor, but when you put it in neutral, or where it would normally be neutral, its in 4 low. It will go back farther with some motivation, but then it sticks and takes even more motivation to get it out of 4 low. The readings are correct, as its in neutral when it says it is, 4 low, and so forth. When I was under the truck, I had my wife move it around, its moving its full sweep at the transfer case, or at least appears to be.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When its all the way down, where it should be in 2wd, its still in "part time", at first I thought it just might be the sensor, but when you put it in neutral, or where it would normally be neutral, its in 4 low. It will go back farther with some motivation, but then it sticks and takes even more motivation to get it out of 4 low. The readings are correct, as its in neutral when it says it is, 4 low, and so forth. When I was under the truck, I had my wife move it around, its moving its full sweep at the transfer case, or at least appears to be.

Whelp, if you've verified that both shafts are spinning when it's supposed to be in 2wd, then I second tj's statement... the cable must need an adjustment. Because I was originally thinking sensor.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue a while back. What they told me at the dealer was that a panel inside the transmision had broken. A few hundred bucks later it was fixed. For some reason the transmision seems to be very sensitive to being used on pavement...(I started off road and then switched on-road while on Full Time 4). Anyways, it may be that same problem. I had a similar issue frequently and what I did was take the car off road and try to switch it back to 2 wheel on dirt. Make sure the transmision is in neutral not Drive when you try this...I hope it helps :)