Winter driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the traction control in the KJ. I think it does a great job keeping the vehicle straight in 2wd, you really have to work at it to fishtail it.

To me, ABS is ABS - I can't really say I notice a difference from other ABS-equipped vehicles I have had. I do think the traction system in the KJ is superb.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to belief, ABS does not help you stop in any way. It actually makes your stopping distance longer unless you do not know how to brake with good old fashioned brakes. :)

ABS is not meant to stop you faster or any better. It simply enables you to steer the vehicle out of harm's way in situations where brakes tend to lock up.

Obviously, trying to execute a turn while you are skidding on locked up brakes will result in a high pucker factor.

I would not drive a KJ that WAS NOT equipped with ABS. JMHO. Of course, traction control was not an option on 2002 KJ.

Last edited:

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a second set of 17" Alloy rims last year and put a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on them for the winter season. The Libby in 4WD handles flawlessly with these and even has decent traction in 2WD when I'm in the driveway getting ready to switch it over. We don't get an enormous amount of snow here on Long Island, but it is nice to know that she can handle anything that gets thrown at us. I do recall that with the stock Goodyear's weren't terrible in the snow, but there were certain times when they weren't fantastic. I definitely slid on those even in 4WD, but with the Blizzaks I have to try to make her slide.

As far as ABS goes, I'm not the biggest fan. I always feel like I could react quicker/better to changing braking conditions than the electronics can, but it's never caused any problems either. I did learn one thing from working in transportation though: If you're driving fast enough that the ABS kicks in, you're driving too fast.

Be safe out there and have fun :)

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 to MadDog...
Glad to hear you did get real tires for the winter while most people get all-season tires in CT,NY State. At Least when i used to stay in Danbury, CT. I remember flying off on the highway in winter storm crusing at 45mph passing by all right laners staying behind the snowplow... I mean in Quebec we get used to it and have winter snow tires and buildup skills because we have no choice... Not saying its all good skilled drivers, but rather that i grew up in a 2300 pop town, so we had nothing to do other then train our skills and burn fuel ... Back then i had my tires studded on my car so ice or no ice i was flying. SnowPlows were flashing the high beams to me as i passed them .... Then they saw the plate saying Quebec .... winterland .... lolll

Last edited:

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, ABS is bad, skilled drivers dont need it to think about avoiding objects. Bad drivers dont think, they panic !! Panic avoids you from behaving with relfexes, thus making you forget what the steering wheel is made for ... even with your hands on it ... pretty amazing !! Oh, just in case, handbrake can save your car and your life when it the car wont seem to make the curve.... if is slides out of the curve... hit the handbrakes and let it go 1-2 seconds after pulling it... back wheels locked will make it turn ... just keep controling it though or youll end up in the ditch on the opposing side loll... P.S. Watch for oncoming traffic ...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS is not meant to stop you faster or any better. It simply enables you to steer the vehicle out of harm's way in situations where brakes tend to lock up.

Wait, you said the same thing I did except you used the word 'simply!' :D

By the way, ABS is bad, skilled drivers dont need it to think about avoiding objects. Bad drivers dont think, they panic!!

Exactly. Last thing you want to do is SLAM on the brakes. Its good for people(women:D:D) that are not familiar with snow driving though.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, ABS is bad, ...

Ok, whatever, ABS is bad, it sawks, it serves no purpose, it's for weak drivers & pu$$ies.

Whatever opinion you want to impart upon us, the bottom line is I receive over $200 discount on my insurance for having ABS on my KJ & WJ. Now go ahead and bash that.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABS.....ESP.....Traction Control systems etc, won't ever take the place of plain old COMMON SENCE. Like them or not, these systems are here to stay, just like common sence (or the lack of it).

You can always tell the people with no common sence as they are the ones in the ditches during a snow storm standing in 4 feet of snow at least 50 feet from the road, and on the cell phone. The "Darwins" provide me with a good laugh.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Isn't this thread over yet?
I mean come on...
People cannot drive in the snow/ice (Does not matter what country you live in.)
ABS is for people who cannot drive.
Traction control is for people who cannot drive.
THAT is the fact of the matter.
What did drivers do 25+ years ago when all these aids for stupid drivers didn't exist?
Google it and be surprised at how good drivers were back then.
Take that damn cell phone away from your ear, leave your coffee cup and food at home and learn how to "F"in drive without all the distractions.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't this thread over yet?
I mean come on...
People cannot drive in the snow/ice (Does not matter what country you live in.)
ABS is for people who cannot drive.
Traction control is for people who cannot drive.
THAT is the fact of the matter.
What did drivers do 25+ years ago when all these aids for stupid drivers didn't exist?
Google it and be surprised at how good drivers were back then.
Take that damn cell phone away from your ear, leave your coffee cup and food at home and learn how to "F"in drive without all the distractions.

Disagree....I CAN drive without them. My first three vehicles didn't have them and I did fine. Hell, my first car was a Firebird, and I live in MI - it's snow 50% of the year. Have these advancements made life easier at times? Yup, sure have.

That's like saying seat belts are for people who can't drive. I mean, if you can drive, then you wouldn't need them, right?

Why do we need disc brakes? Less then 40 years ago they were essentially unheard of. Real drivers can drive without them. Why synchro a transmission? A real driver (admittedly, not me in this case) can drive without them.

It's progress, plain and simple. If you don't like it, pull the fuse. Good luck in finding a new vehicle on a lot today without these features.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Disagree....I CAN drive without them. My first three vehicles didn't have them and I did fine. Hell, my first car was a Firebird, and I live in MI - it's snow 50% of the year. Have these advancements made life easier at times? Yup, sure have.

That's like saying seat belts are for people who can't drive. I mean, if you can drive, then you wouldn't need them, right?

Why do we need disc brakes? Less then 40 years ago they were essentially unheard of. Real drivers can drive without them. Why synchro a transmission? A real driver (admittedly, not me in this case) can drive without them.

It's progress, plain and simple. If you don't like it, pull the fuse. Good luck in finding a new vehicle on a lot today without these features.

You forgot "Left the lights on, key in the ignition" "Idiot" light.

The best off road vehicle? My two feet! They can go more places than any 4X4!

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ came with a cheap@$$ plastic fuse puller. If Chrysler did away with that, than good ridence. It couldn't even pull a fuse anyway. :)

I bought a kit of fuses and it came with a nice puller in it. I use it when I pop my trailer running light fuse (after forgetting to unhook the lights) when launching the boat.

Fighting over ABS. LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the money you could be saving with ABS!!!

You must be registered for see images

rollinglaugh.gifrofl2.giflol3.gifrollinglaugh.gif(rotflmao)(lol)rofl2.gifrollinglaugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online