Window repair warranty extended for 06 & 07 KJs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting ... this is one of the two things that made me hesitate in my recent purchase of an 06 Sport. It was this and the LBJ issue...

I'm kinda afraid I'll park it somewhere and come out to find a window open.

I know (according to the Carfax report) one of my window regulators was replaced already...

It's nice to know that if it happens again it should be covered... without having to use my 3rd party service contract and pay a deductible...

Last edited:

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received my extended window warranty in the mail today

Received two extended warranty coverages in the mail today - have two KJ's - 2007 Sport 4wd 6 spd for me, and 2007 Limited 2wd auto for Mrs. We have previously replaced five regulators, all covered by original warranty or dealer, but I had considered trading in both because of the window issue.

Not now, with some peace of mind, I plan to keep both vehicles, and to start to modify my 2007 Sport. I was not going to put a penny into it, but now will go ahead first with a suspension lift, followed by larger tires.

I'm glad Chrysler finally realized there was a problem.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the KJ the only vehicle that uses these crappy regulators? Why not switch them with a different type or make. I don't get how it is that so many people have the problem, and after repeated repairs they still keep failing. To me, there is an obvious problem and that is the regulator itself. Why are we being "treated" to a repair that is just putting the faulty regulators right back in??

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke too soon - another regulator just popped

I spoke too soon. No sooner had I received the extended warranty and posted above, then the front passenger regulator just popped as I was raising the window. Warranty or not, this is not a lot of fun. This is about the 4th regulator that has been replaced on the vehicle. And now I am considering whether to keep the 2007 Sport 6 speed. I actually like the vehicle, but what if I'm on a trip and one of these regulators goes out, not to mention weather conditions and security reasons. I was about to start some major work on my KJ - OME suspension, tires, skids, etc., but now I'm having second thoughts.

There is a new Wrangler on the dealer's lot with windup windows. It's tempting; however, the Liberty better serves my purpose for long distance back country travel.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke too soon. No sooner had I received the extended warranty and posted above, then the front passenger regulator just popped as I was raising the window. Warranty or not, this is not a lot of fun. This is about the 4th regulator that has been replaced on the vehicle. And now I am considering whether to keep the 2007 Sport 6 speed. I actually like the vehicle, but what if I'm on a trip and one of these regulators goes out, not to mention weather conditions and security reasons. I was about to start some major work on my KJ - OME suspension, tires, skids, etc., but now I'm having second thoughts.

There is a new Wrangler on the dealer's lot with windup windows. It's tempting; however, the Liberty better serves my purpose for long distance back country travel.

woah! take it easy. Fix it right and try to get reimbursed for it with the extended warranty.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13005

Mrbankangler

Reaction score
I went to Canton Tx.for trade days this last weekend and one of the last things I grabbed before leaving the house was some ratchet straps. I was going to buy a door for the house and strap it to the roof rack. Little did I know.....ended up using a strap to hold up my window.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Green Liberty

Reaction score
Warranty

Anyone have any luck with the extended warranty yet? Took mine in this morning with my letter from Chrysler, and after they opened up door panel and looked at it, they told me its the regulator (which I told them it was) and then they explained to me that this extended warranty doesnt cover Window Regulators. It only covers Window Lift Plate repairs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with the extended warranty yet? Took mine in this morning with my letter from Chrysler, and after they opened up door panel and looked at it, they told me its the regulator (which I told them it was) and then they explained to me that this extended warranty doesnt cover Window Regulators. It only covers Window Lift Plate repairs.
That would be correct,they are only fixing the lift plate and not replacing the whole regulator under this recall,there is a updated TSB for this issue.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from Chrysler warranty program a few days ago. They said I should see my check in a few weeks but I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought the lift plate and regulator where same thing? from what I saw there's 4 components to the whole assembly. The Regulator, the Track the regulator slides in, spider gear and window motor. wtf is the lift plate?

I replaced everything but the window btw. The gears in the motor stripped so I replaced the entire assembly.

Last edited:

hwystitch

Reaction score
and the run around begins! No problems with the windows on our 07 liberty, 2 weeks ago we get this letter and toss it out. This morning the window stops halfway up and the wife hears a snap! Great! call the dealer and the service department tells us that it may not be the lift plates and that for them to even look at it we have to pay them. So I tear apart the door and the white piece of plastic is broke, the regulator, which i am assuming is the cable which regulates the window up and down is unattached from the white plastic that "lifts" the window.....now I call the dealer and ask them if this is the warrantied part..."you have to bring the vehicle in for service." But i have the thing apart all i need is the white plastic thing. "we need to inspect it, we can set up an appointment to look at it in a week." Umm its 12 degrees and we need the vehicle can you inspect it today and i will fix it myself? "ahhh bring it in and I will inspect it" So I drive 20 miles to have him look at it and tell me that he doesnt have the part and that he cant give me the part even if he did, that they have to do the work...So i call the number on that letter. Sorry but the dealer has to do the repairs. Even if i phurchase the part and do the work after receiving the letter they wont pay for it...well going to order a steiger performance repair kit and eat the cost.

this is the same dealers service department who told my wife the squealing she was hearing from under the hood was a bad belt.....while i was replacing the practically new belt I notice the water pumps pulley wobbles....

The same liberty that had the rear-end go out on it at 29,000 miles.

The transmission lines leaking at 30,000 miles.

I have owned 3 new Chrysler cars prior to this, never had a warranty claim with any of them.

Guess i buy a ford next time.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from Chrysler warranty program a few days ago. They said I should see my check in a few weeks but I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought the lift plate and regulator where same thing? from what I saw there's 4 components to the whole assembly. The Regulator, the Track the regulator slides in, spider gear and window motor. wtf is the lift plate?

I replaced everything but the window btw. The gears in the motor stripped so I replaced the entire assembly.

Just got my Check in the mail!!

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
mine broke and someoen ( not me, thanks dad) ran the cable out til it popped the endoff, now the runway for the cableis bad too. i doubt theyll fix that

Green Liberty

Reaction score
I recently posted this:

Yesterday I went into above dealers body shop to have a horn replaced. I recently got hit and it did 6500 dollars in damage. THe horn replacement was the last thing to be done in the body repair. While the body shop had it over at the auto shop, they were told there was an open RO on my window that I had been in for not too long ago. The same people that told me about a week ago that it wasnt covered under extended warranty have replaced my window regulator. Made my day!

bjs2063

Reaction score
anyone get reimbursed for the aftermarket repairs like the Steiger parts?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there must be some kinda internal recall that they would have found out. this is all a part of cover up.

I know sometimes lawyers recommend voluntary recalls just to cover their *****. The part was probably made in china and that is probably the problem. Who knows?

hbosman

Reaction score
I don't suppose the warranty applies to 2004's? I've had the regulator replaced on both front doors. One was fixed under warranty and the other wasn't because the dealer lost it's franchise before the second failure. The dealer did give me gift cards to almost cover the repair since we had this "misunderstanding". Anyway they have there franchise back now since chryslers' finished with the financial fiasco.

Last edited:

gdprof27

Reaction score
Fellow KJ sufferers,

I was driving back home last night when suddenly BOTH of my rear windows began sliding down at a steady pace. The rested about half-way down before stopping.

When I pressed the button to raise one (passenger side), it would not move and I heard a consistent clicking noise. When I pulled over I found that I could lift the windows with my hands but they would not stay up for long.

I have seen many fragmented conversations about the extended warranty and what is and is not covered and I am trying to see if anyone here can pinpoint my problem and what my correct course of action should be. I am a child when it comes to dealings like this! I bought my 2006 KJ in June of '10. Do I contact my nearest Chrysler dealership or would I need to go back to where I bought the Jeep?

Is there an e-mail of phone number I need to call? I apologize if this has been covered ad-nauseum. I just couldn't find one place where I saw a clear set of instructions for novices on how to proceed. Thank you for any help you can provide!

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check page two of this thread... There are copies of letters with contact information. Good luck!

Fellow KJ sufferers,

I was driving back home last night when suddenly BOTH of my rear windows began sliding down at a steady pace. The rested about half-way down before stopping.

When I pressed the button to raise one (passenger side), it would not move and I heard a consistent clicking noise. When I pulled over I found that I could lift the windows with my hands but they would not stay up for long.

I have seen many fragmented conversations about the extended warranty and what is and is not covered and I am trying to see if anyone here can pinpoint my problem and what my correct course of action should be. I am a child when it comes to dealings like this! I bought my 2006 KJ in June of '10. Do I contact my nearest Chrysler dealership or would I need to go back to where I bought the Jeep?

Is there an e-mail of phone number I need to call? I apologize if this has been covered ad-nauseum. I just couldn't find one place where I saw a clear set of instructions for novices on how to proceed. Thank you for any help you can provide!