Window regulator blues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!

The rear window regular on mi wife's lightly used (only 13,000 miles) 2007 KJ Limited suddenly gave up. Of course, the warranty expired three weeks ago. So, what am I looking at - a trip to the dealer and $200? It's not the first one to go, but the others were covered by warranty.

Then there's my 2007 KJ Sport - three regulators replaced under warranty, which has now expired. How much of a long term problem are regulators with the 2007 model year?

There was a post awhile back which said something about spraying with a silicon mist for preventive maintenance, but I don't have the link. Would one spray in the channel when the window was lowered?

Thanks for any tips or comments.

Gene

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!

The rear window regular on mi wife's lightly used (only 13,000 miles) 2007 KJ Limited suddenly gave up. Of course, the warranty expired three weeks ago. So, what am I looking at - a trip to the dealer and $200? It's not the first one to go, but the others were covered by warranty.

Then there's my 2007 KJ Sport - three regulators replaced under warranty, which has now expired. How much of a long term problem are regulators with the 2007 model year?

There was a post awhile back which said something about spraying with a silicon mist for preventive maintenance, but I don't have the link. Would one spray in the channel when the window was lowered?

Thanks for any tips or comments.

Gene

Someone made an aftermarket one that's supposed to last. Here's a link without comment: http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13005

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a known problem, and your warranty is up by time, not mileage. If I were you, go to your local CDJ dealer and ask if they will do a Goodwill on your warranty. This is where they will cover a repair for you if your vehicle is barely out of warranty.
Since it is such a known and common problem, Chrysler will most likely cover it for you. I would be surprised if it were denied, and would mean $0 out of pocket to you. It's worth investigating. The worst they can say is no, which in this case is unlikely to happen.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it goes in tomorrow and will ask for a goodwill warranty repair. I will let the forum know the results.

Thanks.

Gene

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer did mine after warranty was up. Service manager said dont worry about it let me order the glass first. One day later call for dealer, stop by today it will only take an hour. I did it did and I got a free cup of coffee

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have tinted windows your gonna get the shaft though having a dealer replace it. Keep seeing posts where they replaced the glass to put in the newer style regulator and the new glass was not tinted.

I would go with the aftermarket repair kit, replace faulty part for life of the KJ.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first couple times mine was replaced under warrenty ('06 limited, tinted left side rear) I couldn't get the dealership to do the glass, even though the scratches were clearly do to the window falling into the door. They weren't too bad, but still... no one likes scratched windows on a vehicle that is little more than a year old.

Now I had bought it used, from another independant dealership, but it was still well under the 36,000 and I had the remainder of the factory warrenty transfered to me.

After 3 under warrenety, I purchased the extended warrenty from where I bought it and they do the work for free.

I had one fail after only 3 months. SHOCKED.gif

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news on our 2007 KJ with a failed drivers side regulator, which meant a $640 cost to replace the regulator PLUS the glass (as a kit from Chrysler). We're under three years but over in mileage...so no warranty. The dealer in Fort Collins, CO, said "Too bad, but you can call the customer care number." Which they could have done considering this is a known design defect. Called Customer Care last Friday, gave them the TSB number I got from this forum, got a call back today from Chrysler and they will cover the cost as a reimbursement....you just have to ask. TSB is not a recall tho (of course) but Chrysler knows people are unhappy with the design defect causing a large expense to owners way too soon (Cherokee as well.) My concern is what happens when the passenger side regulator fails, next month, next year?

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It worked!

It worked! Don Johnson Chrysler/Jeep in Brownsville, Texas called Chrysler and got the OK. Since it's pouring tropical rain here, we left the vehicle with them as they had to order parts/glass. The rear windows are tinted so I will wait and see if the new glass is also. Again, thanks for the idea of asking for a goodwill warranty. My wife showed them the Jeep KJ Country forum post/answers and I think it helped.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky so far as I keep knocking on wood. I'm hoping mine has the good regulators since it was actually made in 05.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the idea of asking for a goodwill warranty. My wife showed them the Jeep KJ Country forum post/answers and I think it helped.

No problem. I'll now PM you my address and you can send me a $100 for the great idea.......... Just kidding of course.:D

Chrysler knows that it is a defective design, and I have helped several customers at my dealership get Chrysler to Goodwill the repair, even though they are out of warranty.

Like I said, it never hurts to ask. You asked for advice here on the forum, then you asked questions at your local dealership. And in the end, you ended up saving a good chunk of change, plus the benefit of an updated design regulator that is not prone to failure.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny this post popped up again. I'm about to take my 02 to the dealership for the same replacement today. I called Chrysler's customer service to ask if there had been any recalls since a) there are so many internet complaints about it and b) there's even that Steiger guy who makes better-than-OEM retrofits.

I was told two things:
Not enough people have complained for their system to recognize it as a big deal. But they're replacing it for free.

I'm lucky since this is the first time it's happened to my 02, even after 118kmi. The case manager set it up with the dealership for me and everything's cool. It never hurts to ask....or call the complaint line and not complain. ;)

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough people have complained for their system to recognize it as a big deal.

Oh brother. I have done more window regulators on KJs than I can count. At least over 200 regulators. And we are a smaller dealership.

But hey, it's a sound design Chrysler. No problems whatsoever. Hahahaha:D

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - window and glass were replaced free of charge. Still, I'm a little concerned for the future. We own two KJ's, that's 8 windows, hope everything holds.

Gene

07kj

Reaction score
Oh brother. I have done more window regulators on KJs than I can count. At least over 200 regulators. And we are a smaller dealership.

But hey, it's a sound design Chrysler. No problems whatsoever. Hahahaha:D

(yeahthat) as a parts advisor for my dealership, I agree with you. If it wasn't a problem, then why does just about every dealer keep them in stock? Lol

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Window Regulator - $0 Cost

Good news!

I received a call from the Jeep-Chrysler case manager who reports that the Service Manager at my dealership has decided to participate in 100% participation. Therefore I will be refunded the $77.00.

Great customer relations!!! Wondered if this is because I own 4 Jeeps! Whatever... I'm excited!

djs

Reaction score
First post, came to this forum to investigate this issue....

Jeep Liberty 2006, 45K miles, back left window - has probably been used 20-30 times since i've owned the car (I hardly ever have passengers in the back), slid down into the doorframe.

$420 to fix.

Called the Jeep customer service line and they said they'll call me back tomorrow with a reimbursement decision. Never buying a Jeep again if they don't. I also had major engine problems at 15K miles that were fixed under warranty (drove a loaner for about 3 weeks).

Not too pleased about this.