Window grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some looking and I didn't seem to find anything like this so I think it may be a simple fix. My passenger side window goes down but grinds when I bring it up.The window struggles to go up and makes a sound like the window rubbing against the side. I think it may be out of its track but I can't tell. I have the door taken apart...
Any help?

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the window regulator repair with the metal slider, mine started it. I dono the cause or why but here is how I fixed/reduced the grinding..

The grinding is caused because the plastic gear on the motor is having trouble gripping/processing the metal spring/push rod thing that acutally pushes and pulls the window. Long metal spring thing with white fuzzy stuff in it.
Well the grinding on mine is wehre the white fuzzy stuff was hard, Like almost it got hot or something and become solid.

Maybe I did the caveman fix or Jamie from mythbusters fix by putting greese on the sliders and greese on the spring. Be careful on what greese you use, some greese will cause plastic to decay. I put the greese on anything that had rubbing contact. Then ran the window up and down a bit. It reduced the grinding, it still has issues at that spot but over time it has gotten better. This is almost open heart surgery on your window regulator, so you may want to do the metal replacement mod since your that torn apart anyway..

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to be honest. To answer your question, yes you can.. But the whole regulator with slider is fairly expensive. And the labor (minus the lubrication) to get the door panel off, regulator out is the same. The lubrication part is fairly easy, just smear where parts move. I would get some high quality greese, if you dont want to buy a big container of greese, you can goto a bicycle shop and they sale very high quailty greese in smaller containers. I would go this rout, see if it fixes it, this is the least expensive suggestion. A window regulator is a few hundred bucks. That is why there is a repair kit for them when the little plastic slider breaks. Cheaper to repair than replace..

I wish I had pictures of the door apart. The part I am talking is a long (maybe 2 - 3 foot long metal spiral thing that loosely resembles a screw). Which in reality it is a screw, the window motor uses the spiral of the screw as teeth and pushes and pull it depending on direction of window. And there is little fuzzy stuff between the spirals of the screw. For some unknown reason about 2 inches of mine got something on it or got hot to cause the fuzzy stuff to be hard. And when the PLASTIC gear of the window motor hit that affected part, the plastic gear is vibrating and doing its best to move through it. So lube it or replace it..

markc

Reaction score
What year model do you have? There has been an extension of 7 years on the warranty on those window regulators (for some year models). I have had the back left window replaced twice already, free both times. Hopefully they got it right now.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year was the recall on the window regulators?
Or how did you get it free, both of my rear window regulators are broken.

markc

Reaction score
ck2012, here is word for word the letter I received in the mail. Mind you this was after I had just paid over $400.00 to repair the left rear window. They sent me a check for the full amount once I mailed them a copy of the original bill/repair order. Original repair was April 2010. This time I called them, and they sent me directly to the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer. It was repaired the same day, no charge. My Liberty is a 2006 model.

From Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
PO Box 21-8007
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007

Dear .....
This letter is to inform you that the warranty period has been extended for Window Lift Plate repairs on your Chrysler Group LLC Jeep Liberty to 7 years from the vehicles original in service date with no mileage limitation. The extended warranty coverage applies to Jeep Liberty model years 2006-2007.

Here is their phone number 1-877-426-5337

Hope that helps.

Members online