Window Creakin'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbieKJ

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted else where, but I could not find anything about it. . .

Does anyone have a problem with the rear window rattling or creaking on rough terrain, or even when going in/out of a driveway??

I've also noticed that the actual hook on the glass that has a plastic/rubber? coating on is is worn through to the metal, and even the metal has some wear. I bought my Lib used, but I knew the original owner, so I know that it was never involved in an accident, and so I know I can rule out that possibility as the cause.

Any suggestions ? ?

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rattle coming from the driver side rear. I have been unable to determine if it's a window, some of the plastic interior parts loose or maybe even something from underneath. (The shock absorber?) It rattles even in the parking lot over little small bumps. It's driving me crazy. I guess mine could be the window too.

Is yours a actual creaking noise or like mine more of a rattle?

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Your not the first to have creeking from somewhere at the rear - I remember an old thread on similar problems. Try unlatching the rear seats and drive with them flat for a while I remember people having trouble with seat catches rattling / creeking. idea.gif

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have drove with the seats up, down, one up and one down. Moved stuff around, ****** on the seats trying to get some kind of noise out of them with no luck. About a week ago I set in the back and got my wife to drive. Amazingly, I didn't hear the noise while I was sitting in the seat. I suspect that should tell me something but danged if I can find where it's coming from.

What should I put the silicone grease on? The pivot points (hinges)?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise

I just removed my entire interior to track down my noise after I finally decided it was unbearable. I removed all of the interior trim, the headliner, the seats and the carpeting. The culprit was a foam spacer on the sunroof. The spacer was between the rails that the sunroof slides on, and the roof of the vehicle. The top of the spacer had come loose from the roof, but it was still sticky enough to create a loud rattle over the smallest of bumps in the road.

While I had the interior out, I taped down all the wires that could create a rattle. I also undercoated the interior to further reduce road/wind noise.

Last edited:

newbieKJ

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what position my seats are in. . .

It seems to be more from chassis flexing and the actual glass moving around just enough to make noise. I have not tried lubin' it up though. . . I'll give that a go and see if it works.

Is there a way to stiffen the chassis though to actually minimize/eliminate the problem. I know for cars you can install a strut tower brace (I know not applicable to solid axles), but is there an equivalent to this for the KJ aside from a roll bar/cage??

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rattle in mine is still there and is caused by the spare tire carrier causing body flex in the tailgate. The dealer said it is a rare problem and has tried to fix it, but I just turn up my stereo to drown it out. However, I do also have an occasional creak from the window. It only happens sporadically, so I could not tell you the exact cause there. I just mentioned mine because at first I thought it was a rear window rattling when it was the tailgate.