will this swap work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Liberty Jet with the 20" wheels and it's a rough ride.
I see 4 16" wheels from a 2010 Renegade for sale at a reasonable price.
The bolt pattern is supposed to be 16x5x4.5
Will this swap work without reprogramming the computer?
Thanks!

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

You don't have to re-program anything to run different size wheels/tires. If they're roughly the same overall diameter your speedo shouldn't be off by much at all. What I would be worried about is clearance of the calipers and other steering/suspension parts. If you're unsure, always, always, ALWAYS test fit before you buy. Can't tell you how many people have come through my shop wondering why their car feels funny or makes weird noise because of a wheel swap gone awry...

Edit; I take that back about the re-program... Make sure you have the correct TPMS in those wheels or just swap them from the 20's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Wheels will work just fine
as far as recalibration , that deal more so with the height of the tire. I assume you'll be staying with a stock size or one step up?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen posted here, there are some Libertys that have a metric pattern that's not a true 5on4 1/2. Only off a couple mm's so it will go over the studs, but still isn't quite right. If they're both true 5 on 4 1/2, next biggie is brake clearance. Is there another 1212 Liberty that comes stock with 16's? If so get on one of the auto parts websites and see if the brake rotor/pad/caliper numbers are the same. If so the wheel will fit. If different brake parts numbers be sure to test fit both front and rear before laying down hard cash!

Good bet that the taller sidewalls on the 16's will give a softer ride.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've seen posted here, there are some Libertys that have a metric pattern that's not a true 5on4 1/2. Only off a couple mm's so it will go over the studs, but still isn't quite right. If they're both true 5 on 4 1/2, next biggie is brake clearance. Is there another 1212 Liberty that comes stock with 16's? If so get on one of the auto parts websites and see if the brake rotor/pad/caliper numbers are the same. If so the wheel will fit. If different brake parts numbers be sure to test fit both front and rear before laying down hard cash!

Good bet that the taller sidewalls on the 16's will give a softer ride.

Bob

There is no difference at all on the KJs and KKs ALL have 5 X 4.5 bolt patterns
NOW with that said some do try and run the other size which is close, I never would
But again if you stick to KJ/ KK wheels you're good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
JEEP LIBERTY 2002 > Metric: 5 X 114.3
Standard: 5 X 4.5 16 X 7 1/2-RH 71.5 H
JEEP LIBERTY 2008 Metric: 5 X 114.3
Standard: 5 X 4.5 12 X 1.5 67.1
JEEP LIBERTY 2WD, 4WD 2002-07 Metric: 5 X 114.3
Standard: 5 X 4.5 1/2-RH 71.5

Read more: Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: 5 X 4.5 Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels will work just fine
as far as recalibration , that deal more so with the height of the tire. I assume you'll be staying with a stock size or one step up?

Yes,I'd use the regular size or maybe the nert size.
Thanks!

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On all my mopar vehicles the speedo reads high with stock tires. Go up a size or two and its closer to actual speed.

Try to find out how far off yours is and you can tailor the tire size accordingly.