Will these tires fit the stock aluminum rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, they'll fit the rim. That's a fairly big tire for the KJ though. What year is yours, and is it lifted? You also may run the risk of slight rub on the sway bar depending on the model of tire. Depending on the amount of lift, you may experience rubbing in other areas. If you're stock-to-little lift, I'd recommend the 245/70-16

The Grabber AT2's I have are 245's and because they are on the aggressive end of an A/T I do get a little rub on the sway bar at full lock. I don't mind it, it's not bad.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible to throw a 265/75/16 on a kj with a 2.5 inch lift? goodyear wrangler m/t

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're going to have some major rubbing getting 265/75's on with a 2.5" lift.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/70-16 will fit on an unlowered KJ with no problem. I do have a small lift - about 1.75" in the front and 1" in the rear. I get slight rubbing at full lock on the front sway bar due to the width/tread of the tires. I feel that no matter if I was unlifted or lifted 4", these particular 245's would rub.

I love my tires. The Grabbers are noisy from 30-35 mph, but I don't mind at all. Good in the snow, decent off road, and great treadwear.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about them, never had them. I think they'd be fairly noisy and wouldn't wear exceptionally well, but those are complete assumptions on my part. For the positive, I think they'd do well off the pavement.

Check out tirerack.com and read some reviews on them.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't know much about them, never had them. I think they'd be fairly noisy and wouldn't wear exceptionally well, but those are complete assumptions on my part. For the positive, I think they'd do well off the pavement.

Check out tirerack.com and read some reviews on them.

That's true though. They ARE noisy and don't wear well unless of course you rotate them like mad!

My sister wanted a set on her KJ for looks. No seriously, she did. :D I told her NOT to get them because she'd never "use" them ;), therefore, being pissed at the noise and wear.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true though. They ARE noisy and don't wear well unless of course you rotate them like mad!

My sister wanted a set on her KJ for looks. No seriously, she did. :D I told her NOT to get them because she'd never "use" them ;), therefore, being pissed at the noise and wear.

So far, I am liking the Grabbers. Noisy from 30-35 or so, then quiets right down. 15k miles on them and they still look like they have deeper tread than new BFG A/T TKO's.

Good advice for your sister - I think it's imporant to get the tires that suit your use or you'll be miserable.

I think the Grabbers are a good compromise between off-road and road, slightly on the aggressive side. If I wanted to take one step toward road-use, I'd probably go with Open Countries or something. I am debating that for the next set. So far I haven't gotten off the pavement since Feb! If this keeps up, I'll get something more tame next time - I drive to Detroit and back every day and that's 99% of the driving.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do mostly highway driving but i go offroad quite a bit.. so i want m/ts.. so whats a good m/t? or maybe an agressive tread a/t?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the Jeep owners out here in AZ run the Goodyear M/Ts with good results - they seem to hold up pretty well to all the rocks we have out here. As far as fitting a 265/75R16 on the KJ it will need to have the pinch weld pounded as flat as you can get it and some trimming to the front of the fender well (where the fog light door is on the older-model Libbys); this is in addition to having a 2-2 1/2" lift plus a bit of clevis boost. Wouldn't hurt to get some wheels with a bit more backspace on them to help with some of the other rubbing you'll see (lower control arms, swaybar, etc).

I'm in the market for tires right now and the ones I've been researching a bit on are the General Grabbers and the Hankook DynaPro MTs like Fouros has. Only problem I'm having is finding the Hankooks in a 245/75 version - most places I've looked at only seem to stock the 265s :( Oh well, guess it's time to bite the bullet and do all the stuff I just mentioned to my Jeep :)

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys... i just put a set of general grabber at2s on my 04 limited unlifted... they look awesome... but i have a few questions to those out there running these tires...

i noticed a slight change in accelleration... have any of you guys seen premature wear of balljoingts or brakes or anything due to what you thought was the heavier tires?...

were you able to get them balanced perfect and ride as smooth as before?

any other issues you've had with them?

I've only put about 15 miles on them so far, just thought i'd ask while reading this thread.

I've always had larger tires on my trucks and different vehicles handle it differently over time...and different tires balance out better than others. My tires seem balanced pretty well, still gotta them out on the highway and check it out. I dont seem to have any rub at all (yet)

Thanks for any help,
Mike
You must be registered for see images

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was lookin at the goodyear wrangler m/t.. anything i should kno about these? they seem to get good reviews

I can not say about the m/t never had them
my wife runs the MTR's on her KJ in a 245/75 on the OE wheels
she has an early '03 with ONLY OME med. coils and rancho struts with ome shocks
she only has a SLIGHT rub out back and only at very full stuff
a 1" spacer under the bump stop would correct it
they have about 25K on them now and I would not doubt that they will get 40k
easy
we rotate every 5K or when they get really noisy
we get it aligned every year or every 12K

dont believe the hype they are not that great off road
I have seen tires that cost close to 1/2 as much do just as good off road
They are 10X better than ANY A/T tire made but not as good as cheeper MT's
they will probably out last the cheeper MT's by 10-15K but that by no means off sets the cost