wierd check eng code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got it and am havin an issue... it was fine for about 4 days, then i put hids in and it had a cel on startup scanned it and it was a no comm gateway A. it went away enxt startup. well last nite was on fwy had cruise on, i turned lights on and bam cel on cruise kicked off and wouldnt engauge. got home same code, cleared it.. so im drivin today and im like what the well i turned headlights on and bam cel instantly. any ideas? are the ballasts maybe taking to much power when they start? anybody else have this prob?

ps the code is U0145.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was close, i was more worried about the number haha. anybody have any ideas? ive heard its for a useless part in the electrical sys but if it is useless why does it throw a code and cut the cruise?

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's first GUESS (without having experienced this personally or had to diagnose this sort of problem) is an electrical issue in the clockspring and/or multifunction switch.

Again...this may be way off base and it would benefit you to wait for a tech with better experience to chime in.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID's inrush current when they start up... I did some google searching and found a TON of reports similar to yours on a few other forums, including one that i venture into that covers the PT Cruiser since thats the wife's car.

Solution? Re-wiring... One guy solved it by taking the stock lighting circuits and using them to switch relays which then apply power to the HID boxes. Try unplugging the HID units and seeing if it still happens, if not then thats it.

Not sure how yours install, but i know some of these HID kits you plug the stock headlight harness into their harness. One guy on the PT forum used the low and high beam wires to run the coils on a relay for each circuit and then a new fused feed to the relay from the battery and then the output of the relay goes to the HID.

Since the PT has basically the same BCM and multifunction switch setup as the Jeep its safe to say that the problem your having is the same as his. He was popping random CEL's and blowing a fuse now and then also.

Members online