Wider rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StealthKJ

Reaction score
I found a set of 18x8 rims with 255/55 18 rubber I'd like to put on my 04' KJ with stock suspension, will the wider wheels rub? what's the widest rim i can fit on my KJ without any problems?

StealthKJ

Reaction score
actually the whole jeep is in very good condition, the suspension is just as firm as the day i bought it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First 8 inch wide rim is too wide
plus not knowing the backspacing of the rims
also like Troy mentioned after 9 years I've seen them over an inch lower than stock

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First 8 inch wide rim is too wide
plus not knowing the backspacing of the rims
also like Troy mentioned after 9 years I've seen them over an inch lower than stock

Valid points. Mine is an 04 and I was about 1.5-2 below stock....

StealthKJ

Reaction score
Excellent points, anything i can do to remedy the sagging suspension or should i just stick with 7" wide rims?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent points, anything i can do to remedy the sagging suspension or should i just stick with 7" wide rims?

Sure replace/upgrade the suspension for one
Find rims that are close to stock backspacing and 7 inches wide
If lifted you can go to 4 inch backspacing and 7 inch wide wheels ( sits the tire / wheel combo out some to the edge of the flares

StealthKJ

Reaction score
also, on a side note, the inset of the rim as advertised by the manufacturer is available in 40mm and 45mm if that helps. i'm not sure what the maximum tolerances are for the 04' KJ.