Why no daytime running lights on KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised Jeep doesn't offer DRLs on the KJ... any thoughts why this is? I actually like having them in certain light situations...

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not like them and hope they never become a standard. all they do is kill your bulbs quicker. its easy if you want DRL's, just turn on your headlights. there ya go. just as simple as that. Thank you Jeep engineers for not implementing that into the KJ's design. I mean in broad daylight if you cannot see a car coming then you should not be on the road yourself. does anyone else feel this way?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
I do not like them and hope they never become a standard. all they do is kill your bulbs quicker. its easy if you want DRL's, just turn on your headlights. there ya go. just as simple as that. Thank you Jeep engineers for not implementing that into the KJ's design. I mean in broad daylight if you cannot see a car coming then you should not be on the road yourself. does anyone else feel this way?

I dont feel that way. DTRL's are designed for low light visibility such as rainy/cloudy days or dawn/dusk times. They increase the visibility factors, allowing other drivers to be more aware. Also DTRL's reduce the possibility of drivers not turning on any markers or lights during fog/rain/tunnels, which can be a hazard.

FWIW I only had DTRL's when I had a Grand Am. I never had a complaint with them though. Not everyone has "Broad Daylight" all the time.

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daytime Running lights

Does anyone know what would be needed to add daytime running lights to KJ's sold in the US that don't have them?

Is there some type of module that could be bought from a mopar dealer and installed?

Can anyone find out? I would buy the part and install it myself.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I dont feel that way. DTRL's are designed for low light visibility such as rainy/cloudy days or dawn/dusk times. They increase the visibility factors, allowing other drivers to be more aware. Also DTRL's reduce the possibility of drivers not turning on any markers or lights during fog/rain/tunnels, which can be a hazard.

My sentiments exactly... for example, on my way to work there I drive through a low area that tends to get a light fog across the road.... also good in a light rain, etc.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Daytime Running lights

AnthologyCT said:
Does anyone know what would be needed to add daytime running lights to KJ's sold in the US that don't have them?

Is there some type of module that could be bought from a mopar dealer and installed?

On the fuse panel on the side of the dash near the top is the relay for the headlights, next to it is an open space, you need the DLR relay, it plugs into the open space and the headlight relay needs to be removed, this is a special relay you cannot use the headlight relay, will this automatically give you DLR's, I don't know, you would probably need to get the some sort of BCM programming

Bob

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Daytime Running lights

AnthologyCT said:

in my 06 in the relay box in the car there is an open relay spot for day time driving lights. i don't know if it just needs a relay or more work is involved? mike (flagusa)

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can one of you Canucks (or others with DRLs) post an image of your fuse box for comparison? Also note any part numbers on the DRL relay and the headlight relay.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care much about the d.lamps, it would be a nice addition to jeep, PLUS it saves money on your insurance (considering I paid 6400 the first year I had my jeep!!!) anyway, it saves a bit..

I care that if KJs had auto lamps. At least the Limited model. There are three things missing from KJ LTD that I really would love to have, Auto Headlamps, Climate Control and Dimming side mirrors. All these were on that famous G.C. we had which was '96 or '94 something like that.. It is fairly simple to turn on the headlamps manually but lazy man wants them auto :)

Or they could have made it react to the time on your Jeep's clock OR they could have linked it to the wipers.. Wipers On = Lights On.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would rather have the auto lights like the grand cherokees have. personally if you wanted daytime running lights why not just turn your headlights on whenever you drive?

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
i would rather have the auto lights like the grand cherokees have. personally if you wanted daytime running lights why not just turn your headlights on whenever you drive?

Or the factory fogs if you have them.

Quote from the PA Vehicle Code regarding light usage:

"Any time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, including rain, snow, sleet, hail, fog, smoke or smog, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible to the operator for a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."

Now if people would just follow the rules and use common sense, DRL would be unnecessary. I shake my head every time when I'm going down the highway, it's heavily overcast and pouring, spray from tires everywhere and from out of the gloom a vehicle appears without their lights on. Often the color of the car blends in with the conditions making them nearly invisible until they are close.

I put at least my fogs on anytime I feel I need to make my vehicle more visible. The cost of new bulbs is nothing compared to the cost of an accident.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" if you wanted daytime running lights why not just turn your headlights on whenever you drive?"

Actually, the DRLs are lower beam than headlights.

One more situation - DRLs are VERY nice to see in oncoming vehicles at speed on narrrow roads when you're driving against low setting sun and glare is bad.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else a non-supporter of DRL's? im sure someone else here has to hate them as much as i do.

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marty said:
" if you wanted daytime running lights why not just turn your headlights on whenever you drive?"

Actually, the DRLs are lower beam than headlights.

One more situation - DRLs are VERY nice to see in oncoming vehicles at speed on narrrow roads when you're driving against low setting sun and glare is bad.

I believe DRLs use the high beam lights not the low beams and run them at about 40% power

And I personally think they are great

As far as burning out bulbs quicker, the last vehicle I had for ten years, and the only bulb replaced was 1 front signal light