Why Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why lift?.....Why not?

Loss of fuel economy would be one reason. Another reason, which I did not think of, was a problem Boiler had with snow which tommudd attributed to the higher stance of the rear of the car.

I was actually going to start a similar thread, but ask why I should not lift. I would really like to get lift within the next 12 months, but I'd like to know all the negatives of it. Not too worried about parts wear because parts are replaceable.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Loss of fuel economy would be one reason.

I still pull over 20 with lift 265-75s etc

Another reason, which I did not think of, was a problem Boiler had with snow which tommudd attributed to the higher stance of the rear of the car.

What ?????////

I was actually going to start a similar thread, but ask why I should not lift. I would really like to get lift within the next 12 months, but I'd like to know all the negatives of it. Not too worried about parts wear because parts are replaceable.

Negatives NONE

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Loss of fuel economy would be one reason. Another reason, which I did not think of, was a problem Boiler had with snow which tommudd attributed to the higher stance of the rear of the car.

Since when does Tom work on cars?

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still pull over 20 with lift 265-75s etc

I get 15 city/18 highway with stock equipment. Maybe I need to come to an Ohio M&G. :D

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

If you are worried about fuel economy, then sell the KJ and get yourself a Prius :rolleyes:......I lost maybe 2-3mpg since I lifted, not so much that it is going to bother me. Jeep and fuel economy are two words that have nothing to do with each other......

Since I got heavier springs and wider rims/tires...it rides much better and handles better too. Besides, Jeeps are made to be lifted.

The only reason I wouldn't lift my KJ is if I didn't use it to it's potential...then I would have just bought a Paseo instead.rollinglaugh.gif

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost maybe 2-3mpg since I lifted, not so much that it is going to bother me.

So if you had lost more, you would have been worried about fuel economy? Jeep and fuel economy are two words that have nothing to do with each other. Sell the KJ and get yourself a Prius.

On a serious note, most things are a compromise. I pointed out the fuel economy because I don't know where the original poster draws the line.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my KJ was still IFS I was lifted 3.75",ran very heavy 265/75's,and with all the armor my KJ tipped the scales at 5500lbs and I could still manage a best of almost 22mpg's on the highway at 75mph here in CO(not flat by any means).I regeared also,that helps drastically and is a must when going to 31"+ tires on a KJ.

Will not release the mpg #'s for my KJ with SFA since it is winter and mpg's suck regardless(I love my remote starter to much and hate scrapping ice/frost of my windshield to much),and from the fact I'm still breaking in the new drivetrain.Next summer I'll post mpg #'s with the SFA.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
LOL...ThunderbirdJunkie just did his first real calculation of the winter.

About 15 minutes of warming up+nearly all city driving=12.6 mpg

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my KJ was still IFS I was lifted 3.75",ran very heavy 265/75's,and with all the armor my KJ tipped the scales at 5500lbs and I could still manage a best of almost 22mpg's on the highway at 75mph here in CO(not flat by any means).I regeared also,that helps drastically and is a must when going to 31"+ tires on a KJ.

Will not release the mpg #'s for my KJ with SFA since it is winter and mpg's suck regardless(I love my remote starter to much and hate scrapping ice/frost of my windshield to much),and from the fact I'm still breaking in the new drivetrain.Next summer I'll post mpg #'s with the SFA.

That's awesome!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
So if you had lost more, you would have been worried about fuel economy? Jeep and fuel economy are two words that have nothing to do with each other. Sell the KJ and get yourself a Prius.

On a serious note, most things are a compromise. I pointed out the fuel economy because I don't know where the original poster draws the line.

Well, I am not worried about fuel economy at all, that's why I bought a Jeep in the first place.

My point being, that if fuel economy is a concern for someone, then you have bought yourself the wrong vehicle in the first place.

These KJ's are not a fuel sipping rig by any stretch of the imagination.

There are more good reasons to lift(which was the original post)than not to lift.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loss of fuel economy would be one reason.

we lost about 1 mpg average when we lifted AND installed larger tires

when we needed better MPG's we got a car that gets good MPG's
compared to a KJ and does what it was built for very well

then again ~3000# worth of car
with a 6 speed auto and a 200 HP turbo charged engine will do road duty with the best of them
top that off with 25+ mpg 50/50 driving and you have some thing
sure we can no longer hop curbs or even think off road but on the road
new ride -> outtahere.gif <- KJ