Why Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slippry

Reaction score
Hello everyone I was wondering if there is a point in lifting a Liberty if you aren't going to be really off roading? Are there road advantages to lifting or just off road? I tried to search for this but really couldn't find anything.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I can see no advantages to lifting a Liberty for on-road use unless it is to satisfy the owner's desire for a specific look. To me, that would not come close to equaling the increased wear & tear on mumerous parts that come with increased driveline angles & heavier ( in most cases) tire/wheel combos along with the decreased mileage/power unless you regear the axles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well you can look at it in a number of ways, look at it as upgrading the suspension to handle better, better ride, longer lasting than stock junk coils and shocks
Stock coils start to sag in 30,000 miles or so, and an up grade will make the ride be better. IF you are never needing to have higher ground clearance then, go for something like OME Medium coils and new shocks and have a long lasting suspension that works great

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
My stock coils had sagged a 9000 miles

You will get a way better ride and better handling by upgrading from your stock equipment

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
When one is cruising the Mall,looking to pick up chicks,the added height allows one to see through the sea of mini vans.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lifted for offroad. I used the skids entirely to much. Every oil change meant a quarter of a big coffee can of gravel off the skid plate. It works like a giant shovel. Now it'll only be 1/2 that.:rolleyes:

Unless you 4 wheel or you want a certain look put your money into something else.

Tom has a good point. If you have to fix the springs anyway.........

Slippry

Reaction score
Who knows maybe Ill get into some off roading in the future or maybe Ill want to look coolerrockon.gif . Ill definitely look into the new shocks and coils. Thanks for the responses.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said.
I went to Hollister hills stock and came very close to hitting on a lot of obstacles in the obstacle courses and couldn't go through a few sections because of ground clearance. I put on a daystar spacer lift (wishing I had saved up and gone ome/rancho) and goodyear mud terrains and have touched my crossmember but that is it. There are still parts I can no go through, but a vast majority of vehicles there can't either. I did a few trails before the rain came and made everything slick and I had some nice 3 wheel motion snoop dog would be proud of on some parts cause the spacers and sway bars attached do not provide great articulation, but I did not scrape or come nervously close to doing so once.
One day I hope to have an ARB bumper with a winch on it, air locker for the front and some sort of limited slip out back, full skids (soon), rock rails, and a proper suspension lift.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People lift their vehicles when there is a need.

I'm still unlifted and I do OK. But then again, I don't really go crawling over rocks.

If my springs took a set, I haven't noticed. It still rides just like it always has.

Boiler

Reaction score
I get much amusement watching family members bounce off the side of the passengers seat when they try to get in...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I really think it should be

"Why haven't I lifted yet"
instead of
"Why should I lift"

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Why lift?.....Why not?

I lifted my KJ for ground clearance. I got hung up on very little last winter and got stuck.....since that day, I put all my efforts into gaining height...and since I did that, I have taken the KJ many more places off road than I could ever have in stock form. The meager money spent on my lift($475 total) was totally worth it.

$475 spent = :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrill of increased risk of roll over.. :)
I would lift it an inch or so just so I could get some better, wider tires. I can probably get them without lifting but it looks like a smurf with big feet when it is so close to ground.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty fair question. Some folks will lift just for a "look", same as some think a lowered ride is "cool" (ugh). Some will lift for off-road. Some lift for the extra ground clearance. Me, I lifted because I like a taller, narrower tire than the design and shape of the wheel wells will allow ("look"). But the reason I wanted a taller, narrower tire is because I live on a dead-end township road that doesn't get plowed in the winter (clearance). So, 2 out of 3 for me - I don't drive off-road. On purpose. Not saying I've never done it. Accidentally. Not saying I haven't driven up over curbs, concrete parking stops, whatever. To the horror and amusement of watchers-on. When I just don't feel like dropping it into R.