why do lunchbox lockers brake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading here about a guy that broke 2 powertrax and another gut that broke an aussie.

why do they brake?? Do yall push them to the extreme or are they that delicated???.

I'm just trying to understang why they brake.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try a Detroit True Trac or Arb Air for most dependable$. They won't break as easily LOL.
The only time they will brake is when the mechanism's at each end of the axle is applied.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They are just made cheaper , design wise etc. easy to install is why lots of people run them but they do break

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are just made cheaper , design wise etc. easy to install is why lots of people run them but they do break

mmm yea that's why I want one too :D

but do they broke cuz.....too much torque???too much pressure on one tire???

I've seen pics of ridenby through some places where you can tell the locker is working, and he hasn't brake his.

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that he has broken an Aussie, they are usually the strongest component in the drivetrain. I´ve had a TrueTrac blow up but not an Aussie yet. One of the biggest tests is axleshaft snapping, the shockload is tremendous and Detroits, Truetracs and Lock Rites quite often don´t survive, but ARBs and Aussies do. I run an Aussie and an ARB in a 4Runner on 37s with a chevy motor and things tend to break.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Aussie does have a good rep. They are popluar in FSJ's and although they start out weighing about what a KJ does, they often end up about 5,000#'s and have V8 power. You can get a bad anything, but the failure rate for the lock-right is much higher in most applications just from my forum skimming.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
The Aussie I had was a POS....

If you If you do have a failure, they will tell you this,

We have discovered a defect is some Chrysler 8.25 carriers where one side of the axle shaft holes are slightly off center.

That is complete Horse $hit.

Good luck trying to get them to honor their warranty.

I was bent over and ***** with out lube on this mod. All in all, I ended up losing $200 bucks and 6 hours of labor (Labor covers R&I + 2 Flushing of the diff)

My locker was off road once. Both trails tat were run were run that day were stocker friendly. It lasted 1400 miles before it went bang.....

You must be registered for see images

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the cross shaft clearance was, it's set using the thrust washers.
Aussies have a fantastic reputation, it's too bad you had a negative experience.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Must not of been only one bad experience as they have pulled them or had last time I checked headscratch.gif

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must not of been only one bad experience as they have pulled them or had last time I checked headscratch.gif

they are still selling them, or at least they still have it on their website with price and everything.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with aussie locker and they DO have it for sale and in stock they are not pulling it off the market.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that digger's locker went Kablooey wouldn't be why ThunderbirdJunkie is concerned about his rearend.

What makes ThunderbirdJunkie concerned is the fact that they did precisely dick about it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that digger's locker went Kablooey wouldn't be why ThunderbirdJunkie is concerned about his rearend.

What makes ThunderbirdJunkie concerned is the fact that they did precisely dick about it.

Are they owned by RRO (rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
At the very least .. hangin' around here gives you the unique advantage of learning from others experiences ... I say soak it up. :D

I must admit Aussie was what I had settled on. The marketing materials are very convincing. Back to the research I guess? They do make a obvious point of warning you that if anything is out of their specs re: installation that "They can tell if it's not their fault" . That sentiment does not exactly fill one with confidence that they are going to accept responsibility.

That is in hindsight of course (Digger)... not that anyone should have to guess about them standing behind the product!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Ya, real good company Eh?
I think I'll spend my money once!
And buy an ARB for the back and a Detroit for the front!

Are they owned by RRO (rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)

Damn!

You beat me to that spot on comment Tom!:D

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
.010 on the cross shaft Spec is .006 to .020
.150 on the center gap Spec is .145 and .170