why do lunchbox lockers brake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all I am going to say is this
dana 44 in a TJ with 3.73's and 31" tall swampers
installed a power trax
wheeled a stock friendly trail ,my wife was there with the KJ luckily
first good limb
1/2 way up and BANG
then only the driver side had power
limp home
passenger side where the shaft went in was split in 2 ,thank goodness for semi floater axles
sent it back to richmond and they sent out a new locker no question ,not good
a few weeks later on an even easier trail same problem
sent it back and got a new locker ,no question again this tells me there is an issue
sold the new one on flea bay for a $100 loss
installed a Detroit locker
now same Jeep on bigger tires running 3-4 trails and never missing a beat
hammer down rear end bouncing off the ground and the locker is holding up

any one who tells you that a lunch box locker is better than a full carrier is blowing all kinds of smoke up your **** or they dont know what a real locker is

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all I am going to say is this
dana 44 in a TJ with 3.73's and 31" tall swampers
installed a power trax
wheeled a stock friendly trail ,my wife was there with the KJ luckily
first good limb
1/2 way up and BANG
then only the driver side had power
limp home
passenger side where the shaft went in was split in 2 ,thank goodness for semi floater axles
sent it back to richmond and they sent out a new locker no question ,not good
a few weeks later on an even easier trail same problem
sent it back and got a new locker ,no question again this tells me there is an issue
sold the new one on flea bay for a $100 loss
installed a Detroit locker
now same Jeep on bigger tires running 3-4 trails and never missing a beat
hammer down rear end bouncing off the ground and the locker is holding up

any one who tells you that a lunch box locker is better than a full carrier is blowing all kinds of smoke up your **** or they dont know what a real locker is

so....there are no good lunchbox lockers???

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Detroit locker-$686
Master kit-$77
Install ? $200-300
Can understand spend once,do it right,outlook. Some(me) just want/need low cost option.Buy a Caddy or buy a Kia,they both get you there.And yes one is slicker,longer lasting,so on. Heck,might just get a Lincoln locker next time around.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pictures Diggerfreak, thanks for posting them.

I've seen a couple of stock Dana35 C-clip axle shafts in a 4.0L TJ snap because of a LockRite and maybe aggressive driving but never a LockRite. The "lunchbox lockers" do wear out and begin to slip after a while.

It's definitely true, you do get what you paid for with a LockRite but don't get me wrong. I do know people who do wheel with a "lunchbox locker" without breaking stuff. Your just can't wheel hard with ginormous tires.

I don't know of anybody in my area that has a Liberty with a "lunchbox locker" in a Chrysler 8.25 axle. Doesn't this axle also have a C-clip design?

I happen to have a Super35 axle in a 4 cyl 95 YJ. I'll never break the chrome-alloy axle shafts but I may wear out the clutch plates in the detroit locker.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Great pictures Diggerfreak, thanks for posting them.

I've seen a couple of stock Dana35 C-clip axle shafts in a 4.0L TJ snap because of a LockRite and maybe aggressive driving but never a LockRite. The "lunchbox lockers" do wear out and begin to slip after a while.

It's definitely true, you do get what you paid for with a LockRite but don't get me wrong. I do know people who do wheel with a "lunchbox locker" without breaking stuff. Your just can't wheel hard with ginormous tires.

I don't know of anybody in my area that has a Liberty with a "lunchbox locker" in a Chrysler 8.25 axle. Doesn't this axle also have a C-clip design?

I happen to have a Super35 axle in a 4 cyl 95 YJ. I'll never break the chrome-alloy axle shafts but I may wear out the clutch plates in the detroit locker.

Yes, the 8.25 is a c-clip axle

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
famous last words
YJ's have leaves
leaves cause axle wrap
axle wrap causes wheel hop
wheel hop breaks shafts
even a Dana 60 can break

you never ever say "it can not break" when you are off road

LOL, yeah you are so right

Let's just say that with my driving style and a four popper under the hood "I am unlikely to break an axle". And to answer the question my Super35 axle kit has 31 spline chrome alloy axle shafts and a Detroit locker with 4.88 gears.

I have seen axle wrap on an 89 YJ with a 350 CI V8 engine, Dana61 axles, with 42" Super Swampers and an aggressive driver wrap the leaf springs. He actually twisted the Dana61 axle tube at the center diff housing. I imagine even a 4.0L engine could twist the leaf springs on a Dana35 axle. It's not called a "turdy-five" for nothing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah you are so right

Let's just say that with my driving style and a four popper under the hood "I am unlikely to break an axle". And to answer the question my Super35 axle kit has 31 spline chrome alloy axle shafts and a Detroit locker with 4.88 gears.

I have seen axle wrap on an 89 YJ with a 350 CI V8 engine, Dana61 axles, with 42" Super Swampers and an aggressive driver wrap the leaf springs. He actually twisted the Dana61 axle tube at the center diff housing. I imagine even a 4.0L engine could twist the leaf springs on a Dana35 axle. It's not called a "turdy-five" for nothing.
The D61 is worse then a D35,completely useless.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's leaf spring rigs, all of them from the 300+ hp CJ7 to the 85-hp-on-a-good-day 2.8 Chevy powered Isuzu Trooper with 4.78 gears all axle wrapped, no matter what.

Get in a tough spot, even the KJ will wheelhop like crazy. Just because you have a little 4 ****** doesn't mean you won't break it.

Latest posts

Members online