Whirring Noise From Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vamaranth

Reaction score
So I test drove a 2004 JEEP Liberty Renegade 3.7 litre with 4x4 last week that I am planning on buying. Private sale not safetied, however the owner agreed to get the pre-safety inspection done for me.

Luckily while I was test driving the owners brother allowed me to take it off road slightly into their field. When coming off their driveway at a decline, there was a whirring noise (only way to explain it, apologies in advance) from what sounded like the engine? It had no noises during regular driving, and no weird noises going back up onto their driveway. The decline was minimal, maybe a two foot to three foot decline, not too steep either.

I know 0 about cars as this is my first purchase so I'm hoping some more experienced jeep owners can chime in on this, as I am trying to learn. Thank you!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2, if so that's normal.
Or it could've been the fan or something.

Mason Methot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the others mentioned, 4low? If so then that's just the transfer case making its usual noises. If not, then I dunno. Sometimes mine does it faintly when driving downhill too I guess?