Whining Sound (like a mini turbo)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
Hey all

Anyone shed some light on this?

I have noticed that when I accelerate in my 05 3.7 I hear a slight whining sound, sounds almost like a muffled turbo, and it whines in tune with the revs....

As I accelerate is gets louder, then gets softer when revs drop with the gear change.....

I read that a bad CAT can be causing this...

Any ideas?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it's not the power steering pump? They're known for that whine, especially when it's cold. Don't know if it's starting to cool off there now but that may be linked to the sound you're hearing.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a whine too a few months back. Accompanied with the whine was a slight grinding noise. I actually thought it was two separate issues, however I found out after I had a trusted mechanic take a look at it that all of the noises were being caused by one or two pulley bearings. The whine sped up with RPMs and was pretty damn loud. That's an easy one to test, too. If you take the belt off and spin the pulleys, you might feel a grinding or something of the likes if something is wrong with a bearing in said pulley. Anyways that's just my experience. The list goes on because we can't hear a) where it's coming from, and b) what it exactly sounds like.

It could be:

-Pulley Bearing
-Transmission
-PS pump
etc...

KJJ

Reaction score
I think I know the sound you're talking about, both of mine do it. Always have.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a whine when it's hot out and I have the AC on. done it since I bought it. I changed the belt and tensioner and will see if that changes when it gets warm out again.

My '03 didn't do this.