Which Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am sorry in advance... I know you guys love answering the same tire size question about a billion times. I searched around, but still could not find a direct answer. So here it goes...

I am getting new tires for my Liberator. Should I go with 245/70-16 or 255/70-16? I will be putting them on my stock 16 inch rims with no spacers or anything anytime soon. What would be best for me? I know that the 255's are a little wider, is that going to cause a problem? I was looking for a little larger tire, but these are the sizes that are available. Right now I have about a 2in lift in the front and 3in in the back. I just recently had it put on, so I don't think that it has sagged any yet. In the long run, what will I still be happy with the 245's or the 255's.

Thanks!

P.S.- If it helps any.. I will be doing some off-roading, but overall the majority of my driving will be done on the streets.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/75/16 and like them. They are bfg at/ko...mine are about ready to be replaced at 55k miles on them. I do a fair amount of trails though too. Only rubbing I had was the pinch but I knocked that down years ago. Does that help at all?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
255's will rub with stock wheels. 245's usually rub the sway bar, the front of the fenderwells, and on the pinch weld. The fenderwells and pinch weld are easy fixes, and usually the rub on the sway bar is at or near full lock and isn't a huge concern (for me atleast). I would imagine 255's would be a little worse in those situations. The majority of lifted folks run 245/75/16's and there are a ton of options out there in that size. If you want big tires, that size is the easiest to run with stock wheels IMO.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 245/75 MTR's on stock wheels with OME coils for 3+ years with no rubbing on road
and slight rub at full stuff off road
Replaced those with 255/70 Yokohama AT's
still got the exact same rub

The rub was from lack of bump stop spacers on the rear allowing the tires to contact
the fender liners