which kit???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REnny3d

Reaction score
there are not a whole ton of lift kits i have started to notice for the kj. i have been told that "many of the cheaper" strut lifts instead of the suspension(frankenlift) lifts tend to damage the front end and can be harmful for the jeep. is this true? and out of the few lifts out there which one do you guys perfer?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only three I would EVER install
best Frankenlift
second OME coils and either OME shocks/struts or a little cheaper and just as good Rancho shocks/struts
third Daystar puck lift
any others are just cheap and you will replace sooner or later
Some will say go Rustys for the price but you can do an OME spring lift with Rancho shocks for almost the same money, plus Rustys is just the same spring rating as stock, so is that an upgrade? I have installed 2 Rustys 3 OME/Rancho and I Frankenlift and thats my take on it

Oh and my OME/Rancho set up has over 70,000 miles now and still rides great.
just for the record if you are interested
OME 927s front
OME 948 rear
Rancho RSX 17505 front
RSX 17004 rear
also front bumpstops Tearflex # 0019301200
rear bumpstop 2 or 3 hockey pucks per side

Simon says...................

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good lifts that I can name off the top of my head: Frankenlift, OME, Daystar, Revtek. IF you have serious cash burning a hole in your pocket you can do the JeepinByAl lifts (4" and 6" flavors). I know there are a couple of other decent lifts, just can't remember them off the top of my head.

What to stay away from: any lift that uses a re-engineered top plate on the strut as the primary component in the lift. Also called 'OTT' or 'Over The Top' lifts, this type changes angles in the front strut assembly and has been known to cause premature strut failures. You have been warned :)

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME ( i love it )
as far as spacer lifts

with my time on the various boards

Daystar and revtek are the ones that i have never heard any problems with ( just get longer rear shocks) rsx17004 Ranchos would be the go

REnny3d

Reaction score
best Frankenlift
second OME coils and either OME shocks/struts or a little cheaper and just as good Rancho shocks/struts
third Daystar puck lift
Some will say go Rustys for the price but you can do an OME spring lift with Rancho shocks for almost the same money, plus Rustys is just the same spring rating as stock, so is that an upgrade? I have installed 2 Rustys 3 OME/Rancho and I Frankenlift and thats my take on it

OME 927s front
OME 948 rear
Rancho RSX 17505 front
RSX 17004 rear

if i where to go with the OME/Rancho set up what am i looking at roughly for pricing? thank you.

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 Franki if you save your $$$
2 ome/ranchos
3 daystar
good luck on whathever you choose.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME lift - 2 to 2.5" lift. A modest or cheaper lift that still maintains an OME quality ride. Allows for tires up to 245/75 R16 or 31". This lift gives you less wear on driveline components and thus should be cheaper in the long run. Note: you can add spacers as needed to the lift to create the Frankenlift if you want.

Frankenlift - 3 to 4" of lift in the front. OME plus spacers gives you enough lift for 32" tires. This lift is prebuilt so you just swap them in - less work. It may wear your driveline components a little faster though because of higher CV angles. And you may want to buy Al's A-arms to correct your alignment angles. I like my frankenlift but i could use more lift in the rear than what it comes with. In hinesight i could of bought the front frankenlift only and combined that with the rear 4" lift from jeepinbyal.

Jeepinbyal's lifts - I like the components that comes with these lifts. However, the 4"+ lifts are not as cheap as the frankenlift so it is more for the experienced offroader looking to upgrade than for the entry level kjer. However, he does offer a 2.5" lift that is competitive in price to the frankenlift. So you may want to look into that as well.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best Frankenlift
third Daystar puck lift

OME 927s front
OME 948 rear
Rancho RSX 17505 front
RSX 17004 rear

Ditto. I have had a Daystar & Frankenlift on both of my KJ's & I agree w/ the above. Only difference is I would pay the extra $$ and get the OME shocks for front and rear. Get the longer Rear OME's from All J Products since I don't think anyone else is offering those. I have had a couple Rancho failures over the years both front and rear. The OME's I have used have not failed yet.