Which is better ...... RB1 or RB4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two things i don't like about the rb1. The first is the screen size, it's so small that even on the highest zoom, a lot of the street names aren't displayed. Working in an unfamiliar city, i use the map feature a lot to get around, and the rb1's screen makes it tough.

The second is that if you want to listen to a cd and use the nav at the same time, you need the rear changer. (Or an ipod and ipod adapter for ripped cds).

This is just my opinion, but DCX has done a poor job with navigation systems overall. the next generation REC nav system wont with our KJs (if somebody knows what wouldn't work by having a different CAN system, i am curious to know). And the newest generation nav (RER) finally has a touch screen and hard drive...and it will work with no model 2006 and previous vehicle. The only 2007s it works with are Dodge Nitro, Chrysler Sebring and some Wranglers.

Sorry about the rant, the nav system is the only part of my KJ i'm very disappointed in. And it was by far my most expensive mod.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nav

I honestly don't like either on. I've heard that a 2-din system will fit in the the radio slot, but some modification to the radio beze is required. Aftermarket units have a 6-7" screen, satellite radio, play DVD's and plat .mp3's & .wma's.

I'm looking at Kenwoods...but it will be a while before I get the cash to install one.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Nav

VTNomad said:
I've heard that a 2-din system will fit in the the radio slot, but some modification to the radio beze is required.

I'm interested in any examples u've come arcross for this..... at some point I want to get a nicer radio and would love to get a DD one.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pics, but a month after i got the rb1 i was so unhappy with it i went to cartoys and seriously looked at the double din navs. They said they could fab up a new bezel, but it would be a couple hundred dollars on top of the nav and install cost. That was the end of that.

If i hadn't already spent the money on the rb1 and rear changer, i probably would have done it. Or at least have them do the install of the nav and grab another KJ bezel from ebay and dremel out a larger opening.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.