Which Hitch Wire Harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddbarrow

Reaction score
I've been watching e-trailer videos and "how-to" articles about installation of a hitch wire harness for my 07 Liberty, but I'm confused: Some say that all you need to do is feed the wires from one tail light to the other and drop the harness by the hitch, but others show that in addition to what I mentioned, you also need to feed a wire up to the battery for power???

Why are there two methods? How do I know which one I need to do for my vehicle?

Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the one that plugs into the box behind the passenger side rear panel.The Lights on the KJ are computer controlled and if you do the old "tie into the brake light wires" method you can cause other issues not to mention you can fry the BCM.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the one that plugs into the box behind the passenger side rear panel.The Lights on the KJ are computer controlled and if you do the old "tie into the brake light wires" method you can cause other issues not to mention you can fry the BCM.

Is there enough leeway in that control to tie in an LED backup light or two?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what tjkj2002 says - the best and safest option for your BCM is the Mopar trailer harness. Is it more expensive? Yes - but a lot cheaper than chasing electrical gremlins for the rest of your KJ's life.

The Mopar harness is literally plug-n-play. Pull back the rear passenger side interior panel, plug in the harness, clip it into the slots in the Jeep's body and you're done. You can buy the 4-flat harness or the 7-pin round harness depending on what you tow. But get the 7-pin just in case you tow a trailer that has electrical brakes or need for 12-volt power.

Bob