Which belt tensioner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belt tensioner on my gf's 2006 3.7 liter Liberty is shot. I got a Dayco from Advanced Auto but the idler pulley is the larger one. It runs with no issue and the belt isn't super tight.

I'm not crazy about changing the pulley size though. I did a search and it looks like the Gates comes with the correct 3" (76mm) pulley.

I searched here and most people say to stay away from oem and that Dayco is fine but gates is better. Should I order the gates with the correct pulley or get oem?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this recently.

What I found out is:
- If you have the smaller tensioner (pulleys are the same size, 3 inches)
- You will need the shorter belt. It measures 86 3/8 inches

- If you have the larger tensioner (pulleys are different sizes, I believe
one is 3 inch and the other is 3.5 inches.)
- You will need the longer belt. It measures 87 1/4 inches.

No matter what version of tensioner you have, either one will work as long as you get the correct belt length. I have read the the "new and improved" tensioner is the one with the same size pulleys. My old tensioner had the different size pulleys, I ended up putting one on with the same size pulleys with a shorter belt. Everything works perfectly.

bigyellowjimmy

Reaction score
Dayco 89254 has 76mm grooved pulley and 90mm smooth. I believe this is the correct part number for a 2006. Is this the part you got from Advanced Auto?

Gates 39120 as well. I've had good luck with both Gates and Dayco tensioners.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 liberty original with Napa tensioner. I used the larger belt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Gates in mine. Much better than the old OEM.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the napa one for my renegade. I just had to do this a month ago. made sure it was the exact same size as what was in it and boom.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this recently.

What I found out is:
- If you have the smaller tensioner (pulleys are the same size, 3 inches)
- You will need the shorter belt. It measures 86 3/8 inches

- If you have the larger tensioner (pulleys are different sizes, I believe
one is 3 inch and the other is 3.5 inches.)
- You will need the longer belt. It measures 87 1/4 inches.

No matter what version of tensioner you have, either one will work as long as you get the correct belt length. I have read the the "new and improved" tensioner is the one with the same size pulleys. My old tensioner had the different size pulleys, I ended up putting one on with the same size pulleys with a shorter belt. Everything works perfectly.

Now that's interesting. This all started to happen when I proactively changed the belt which I got from a Jeep dealer. I figured it was my moving the tensioner that caused it to crap out. I measured the belts next to each other and I think the new one was maybe a little shorter but chalked it up to stretching of the old belt (I could have remembered this backwards). How can I measure to make sure? Is there a part number that will indicate this (I still have the old belt). If not, how does one measure the belt precisely?

Dayco 89254 has 76mm grooved pulley and 90mm smooth. I believe this is the correct part number for a 2006. Is this the part you got from Advanced Auto?

Gates 39120 as well. I've had good luck with both Gates and Dayco tensioners.

Yes, it was the 89254. Which I had to buy the wrong one first and then the right number "magically" came up in there computer. :fca5278d:

2003 liberty original with Napa tensioner. I used the larger belt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Any time I can I avoid Napa. Not only are they insanely expensive, they have an attitude like they are doing you a favor. I've heard they do have good quality parts though.

Thanks a ton guys - the assistance is much appreciated!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time I can I avoid Napa. Not only are they insanely expensive, they have an attitude like they are doing you a favor. I've heard they do have good quality parts though.

Strange. The guys are mine are really nice and want to help as much as possible. It may help that they are mostly a delivery parts store (no walk around retail store with waxes).

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. The guys are mine are really nice and want to help as much as possible. It may help that they are mostly a delivery parts store (no walk around retail store with waxes).

One I went to in CT, there were three guys behind the counter none of which acknowledged us until I said something. Then they acted like I was bothering them.

We were the only ones in the store too.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One I went to in CT, there were three guys behind the counter none of which acknowledged us until I said something. Then they acted like I was bothering them.

We were the only ones in the store too.

Mine used to be like that, too. All new guys in there and they are actually helpful.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on measuring the belt or part numbers for the different sizes?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy most all of my stuff from rockauto....when it's a "planned" project, because you can get OEM quality, and sometimes by the same maker that originally supplied the car manufacturer. They also have a 5% discount on whatever you buy, so be sure to search online for the code. If a surprise might happen where a part is needed right away, then I'm at the mercy of what the parts store has in stock, which if it's a house brand, can be the exact same part that the other stores carry just labeled differently (you can tell that by part # similarities).

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy most all of my stuff from rockauto....They also have a 5% discount on whatever you buy, so be sure to search online for the code.

RockAuto is a big supporter of our forum - they supply us with a code that is found in the Preferred Vendors section here on JeepKJ.com. Be sure to use that code as it is tracked back to our forum and they can tell we're supporting them when we purchase with that code. I just bought my hub bearing from RockAuto last week and saved 5%.

Support our Preferred Vendors! :waytogo:

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yes I do that, but they're not always on the ball to post a new discount offer before the previous one expires.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 had the smaller pulley, the dayco from advance had a larger pulley. I used the belt that was the same size as the belt that came on the jeep and it works great. Going 3 years now.

spta97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 had the smaller pulley, the dayco from advance had a larger pulley. I used the belt that was the same size as the belt that came on the jeep and it works great. Going 3 years now.

I would think this might be ok and the setup I have assuming the parts guy gave me the right belt. The tensioner should accommodate the tighter belt, no?

I will get the part numbers tonight to see what's what