Which ball joint tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

chieftjs

Reaction score
Advance Auto's rental 23 piece ball joint/U joint service set (Powerbuilt Tools #648617) worked perfect for me.
Did you have trouble getting the screw end of the press to fit squarely inside the upper end of the nuckle? I got a similar kit from Advance but it didn't fit squarely on the ball joint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have trouble getting the screw end of the press to fit squarely inside the upper end of the nuckle? I got a similar kit from Advance but it didn't fit squarely on the ball joint.

It's been a while, but I don't recall having any trouble with it at all. You might have to play around with different sizes of cups, or reversing the press (you can have the screw end on the bottom end of the ball joint and it will still press from the top, if you use the right cups).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If I had had a lot of trouble with it I'm sure I would remember more clearly how exactly I set up the press. But since it went so easily for me I didn't spend much time thinking about it.

chieftjs

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I don't recall having any trouble with it at all. You might have to play around with different sizes of cups, or reversing the press (you can have the screw end on the bottom end of the ball joint and it will still press from the top, if you use the right cups).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If I had had a lot of trouble with it I'm sure I would remember more clearly how exactly I set up the press. But since it went so easily for me I didn't spend much time thinking about it.
Thanks anyways. I think my issue was that I didn't have the larger set of cups in the kit I got from Advance Auto. I'll go find the larger kit. Thanks.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you gotta get the largest most expensive kit. I also had to reverse it and when pressing in make sure the threads would not hit... and I had to loosen the clamp and spin the top cup. It doesn't press in straight and there was a slight bevel to that cup to keep correcting it to get it moving again once it wanted to stop.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you gotta get the largest most expensive kit. I also had to reverse it and when pressing in make sure the threads would not hit... and I had to loosen the clamp and spin the top cup. It doesn't press in straight and there was a slight bevel to that cup to keep correcting it to get it moving again once it wanted to stop.

OTC Tools (OTC8031)

$300 for the kit on ToolTopia.com

chieftjs

Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this SnapOn set a few years back "BJP1"
https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Joint...Joint-Universal-Joint-Press-22pc-P644058.aspx

Best set I've ever seen.

I have that set also along with the OTC set just for Chrysler and 2 others from OTC just for Ford's and GM's.

The specific make sets are super nice since there is no guess work and "well hope it works and doesn't mess anything up".That Snap On set works most of the time but lacks for about I'd say 50% out there.

Latest posts

Members online