Where to go next with sound system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilblkblt04

Reaction score
So I'm starting to do some sound system modifications to the Liberty and wanted some more advice as where to go next.

Right now I have the Pioneer DEH-P4100UB Head Unit and Alpine SPR-17C speakers.

Should I go with a amp for the speakers next or a single 12" sub?

I'm looking more towards getting natural sound, not over powering hear me from a mile way sound.

What should I do next?

Ryan

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with the volume level you get out of these speakers? I always thought about getting rid of my premium system and just buying a set of two ways and run straight off H/U's amp, but I thought I would just get only fracture of what its capable of without an amp.

Let's see, these are 100w speakers, and the power your H/U can spit out seems to be 14w with 50w peak. Looks like you are missing out on half the show right there, but you said you want a natural sound.. Sometimes loud sound doesn't mean unnatural, but if the level of volume you are getting from the current setup, just get a subwoofer.

EDIT:
Found this, and thought it may help:

Written By Johnny Z said:
I have (4) of these speakers installed in my '04 Jeep Liberty. They are being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4, and an Alpine CDA-9884 head unit. My concern was getting optimal performance out of a 6 3/4" speaker without having to use a sub (conserving cargo space). These speakers are amazing. Highs are sharp, mids are very tight, and bass response is unbelievable for a 6 3/4" speaker. If you get these speakers, make sure you have enough power to push them. Great product. I was always an Infinity fan (always bought Kappa and Reference) but consider me now a converted Alpine lover. These speakers pound. And GREAT customer service from Crutchfield. These were recommended by the tech advisor after letting them know what I was looking for. I only gave them a 4 rating because I don't give anything a 5. But these in my mind are definitely a 4.8. Can't go wrong with these speakers.

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the sub. the stock speakers arnt to bad. Just turn down the bass on the speakers and up the bass on the sub and turn it up

lilblkblt04

Reaction score
Well they are worse than the stock speakers at high volumes, which really makes me mad.

I paid close to $250 for them and they're worse than the stock ones. Anybody know what could be wrong.

At low volumes, they're fine but when I crank it up they start distorting. I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P4100UB head unit.

Are they just not getting enough power?

Ryan

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Well they are worse than the stock speakers at high volumes, which really makes me mad.

I paid close to $250 for them and they're worse than the stock ones. Anybody know what could be wrong.

At low volumes, they're fine but when I crank it up they start distorting. I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P4100UB head unit.

Are they just not getting enough power?

Ryan

If you are running a 50x4 head unit, then yes you are under powering those speakers. Get a good 4 channel amp and run new speaker wire to the doors( if thats where you have the Alpine's) and see what a difference that makes alone. Then get a good sub and amp to finish it off. Best thing is to buy it piece by piece, then install everything at once.....it's a better noticable difference.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.. I am glad that I kept stock speakers when I swapped the H/U. I tested a set of aftermarket speakers, they barely put out any sound at all, so I guess no matter what you get, you will need to buy an amp first (unless lack of amp is not the cause of distortion). :(

Latest posts

Members online