Where to get keyless entry remote programmed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickmv

Reaction score
So, as a homebrew enthusiast, I use StarSan sanitizer a good bit for my brewing.

Anyways, long story short, my 04 KJ keys were on the table, and I accidentally knocked them into a bucket of StarSan. The remote no longer works.

I have an old remote entry from a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that has all the buttons except for the rear-window opener. I'm looking to get it re-programmed to work with my 04 KJ Sport. My understanding is that these remotes will work just fine.

The problem -- where the heck do I go? I'm not going to the dealership because they're practically robbing you and want over 100 bucks, which is absolutely absurd for a quick programming.

Does anyone know of a place that offers this service? I'm in TN, for regional reference.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st you need to make sure that keyfob will indeed work,I doubt it will.You will need to have it done at the dealership regardless or a very high end locksmith,both will run about the same cost since it will require the DRBIII scan tool.

It's supposed to be hard and expensive to get these things programmed,helps deter theft.Suck it up and pay the dealer for your mistake.

nickmv

Reaction score
Edit: Nevermind, I thought the YouTube video on programming them would work.

Turns out I need an existing remote in order for it to work. Guess what I don't have? A working remote.

Am I screwed? Anyone know of a remedy to this situation? I'm not paying the dealer money they aren't earning through honest labor.

Last edited:

nickmv

Reaction score
Yep, I got too excited when i saw the video, then got the massive letdown when it didn't work and I discovered why.

Dealer wants $90 for a remote (ridonculous) and $47.50 for labor. &@!# that. I'm not paying it. A locksmith told me a while back he could do it for 50 bucks, but I'm going to call him back and ask him how he planned to do it.

As you mentioned and the dealer confirmed, you need to access the theft module in order to program it. Somehow I doubt the locksmith has that equipment.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The xj remote will not work. No way, no how. You need a remote with the same part number om the back xover, and close to.the same identifier chip code inside.

My local junkyard charges $30 per remote. If you pm me, I have spares, but need the part number off the back, and a good closeup picture of both sides of the board inside. They pop right part btw

Also might want to just open it, let it dry, replace the batteries. These things are pretty tough...mine has survived my washer, though the washer didnt survive it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.