Where is the sensor that tells the Jeep that you haven't buckled your seatbelt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, the warning lights for the airbag and seatbelt will come on while driving. I've read that this can be caused by a fault in the sensor that detects whether your seatbelt is buckled or not. Can anyone tell me where this sensor is? Logically it has to be in the belt receiver, doesn't it?

I can't find any reference to a specific "seatbelt buckle status sensor" (to give it a name I just made up) in the Mopar parts catalog.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is in the belt receiver. There should be an electrical connection for it under the seat. Check the connection first, make sure it's clean and solid. If you need to replace it, you have to replace the whole receiver. Go to this link: ChryslerPartsDirect.Com
Enter your model info, and search for seat belt. It will be referenced as the buckle end.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind there is a weight sensor as well (altho maybe just in the passenger seat), that will indicate under 40#s...a kid sensor if you will. My backpack briefcase sets the thing off, and the annoying lamp stays on as if I need to know. Government reg's on steroids.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll be driving along the highway and my wife will turn in her seat to get a soda or snack from the back, and the light comes on because she's lifted most of her weight off the seat. Annoying for sure, but no engineer can design for every condition, altho, it is a Jeep, which means the travel snacks and cooler will always be inside on the back seat...they should have figured that much. hehe