Where in the fuse box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy sent me one of those auto dimming rear view mirrors with a compass and thermometer on it.

I'm a little unfamiliar with the wiring part, though... I plan on running the wire from the mirror across the ceiling (tucked under, of course), down the A pillar to the fuse box. Where in the fuse box can I splice in the power line so that when I turn the key in the ignition, it'll power it up?

Would one of these be what I'd need?:
You must be registered for see images

BTW, I'm going to need to run a temperature/UV sensor wires out to the front grille...is there another hole in the firewall near the fuse box I can slip a small wires through (Besides the one down by the pedal, which I already have thick amp cables stuffed through)?

Thanks.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring Fun

You can use one of those, and it would likely work fine. IMHO, tho, thats a more temporary solution, I myself wouldnt do that for anything long term. Understand, tho, that is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me and prolbably think my ideas are worse. In any case, heres what I did.

When I hardwired my XM satellite radio, I just found a big red wire by the drivers feet there. Tested it, and it was ignition switched. If figured since I was just running the XM Satellite tuner, the draw would be minimal. So I stripped back the insulation, soldered a new wire off of it, then taped it up with black electrical tape. It worked nicely. So basically now I have a cigarette lighter receptical mounted behind the drivers kick plate there, with a noise reducing thing inline for it.

You should run an inline fuse if you choose to go this way, just to be safe.

If you need wiring diagrams let us know, we can probably hook ya up.

-Blu

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
A buddy sent me one of those auto dimming rear view mirrors with a compass and thermometer on it.

I'm a little unfamiliar with the wiring part, though... I plan on running the wire from the mirror across the ceiling (tucked under, of course), down the A pillar to the fuse box. Where in the fuse box can I splice in the power line so that when I turn the key in the ignition, it'll power it up?

Would one of these be what I'd need?:
You must be registered for see images

Yup, that should work great. Here's a quick blurb on how to use it:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3791

I think one of those add-a-fuse devices is probably better than soldering into a live wire. When you add-a-fuse, you aren't pulling power off an existing circuit, you are pulling it out of the fuse box (so if you tap into your cigarette lighter, for example, you aren't taking away from the 10A fuse already there, you're adding another 10A fuse going to another circuit.)

BTW, I'm going to need to run a temperature/UV sensor wires out to the front grille...is there another hole in the firewall near the fuse box I can slip a small wires through (Besides the one down by the pedal, which I already have thick amp cables stuffed through)?

I think those are the only two holes through the firewall (the one with the factory wires and the little one next to it that you probably ran the amp wire through). If you're careful, you can probably drill a hole, but I'd suggest making that little wire fit through one of the existing ones and just re-RTVing it.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are great ideas I've considered... (thanks)

With the mention about Sat Radios, Radar Detectors, and GPS/Navigator devices...perhaps those are more worthy devices for this type of hook up.

This is simply a rearview mirror; nothing big. It barely takes any power and probably won't drain anything even if I left it on permanently. But I still want it on with the turn of the key...

I'm considering the splicing in method. Is there any power wire activated by ignition somewhere close to the vicinity of the mirror? (like...for the optional EVIC--or is that another seperate run wire?)

EDIT (ADD): BTW...back to one of my original questions... where in the fuse box is a fuse activated by the ignition? I've never opened it before...is there a diagram on the cover? Thanks.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a detailed diagram in your manual under "Fuses".

However if it were me I would use a relay and attach it to the ignition wire and then use the relay as a common connection point for anything I wanted to start with the vehicle. The relay requires such a minimal amperage that it would be very well suited to running off of another circuit.

I believe the ignition fuse is under the hood isn't it. I haven't looked but I thought it was. Or maybe thats the ignition coil...

Either way, the manual will tell all.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
I'm considering the splicing in method. Is there any power wire activated by ignition somewhere close to the vicinity of the mirror? (like...for the optional EVIC--or is that another seperate run wire?)

I spliced 2 wires from the evic harness to power the mirror, and it works great with no problems. It was an easy 5 or 10 minute project.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you already have the evic, you should be able to splice into the fused ignition switch output:
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm guessing if you are getting a mirror that has a temp and compass display you don't already have an evic. If that's the case the wiring for it probably won't be there.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stackthepads30 said:
I spliced 2 wires from the evic harness to power the mirror, and it works great with no problems. It was an easy 5 or 10 minute project.

That sounds like a good idea...are these wires located within the A pillar or the door?

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
stackthepads30 said:

That sounds like a good idea...are these wires located within the A pillar or the door?

If you have an evic, you would need to remove it, and you can tap into the wires anywhere behind where it connects to the console.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stackthepads30 said:
If you have an evic, you would need to remove it, and you can tap into the wires anywhere behind where it connects to the console.

No, I do not have an EVIC.
Well, I'll figure out something. :-k So far it looks like splicing into a wire may be my best bet.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
stackthepads30 said:

No, I do not have an EVIC.
Well, I'll figure out something. :-k So far it looks like splicing into a wire may be my best bet.
Even though you dont have a EVIC, the wiring maybe there, since people have been known to add the EVIC to not EVIC equiped KJs.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=319

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question(s)...

The ignition wire...is it not a good idea to run/tap/splice multiple gadgets to it (like a Navigation, GPS, Radar...all feeding off one wire)? I'm thinking someday I'll add a bunch of gadgets; thought I'd make a "connection point" for them.

BTW, anyone have a pic of the ignition wire under the steering wheel area?

dicnic

Reaction score
The picture you posted inticates an ATC size fuse adapter which allows one to insert it in the place of an ATC size fuse, replace the removed fuse into one socket of the adapter and insert a new fuse in the "wire" side of the adapter for the new attached device.

However, in my '05 Limited, ALL the fuses are the ATM Mini®Fuse size, which is NOT what your picture showed. And, to make matters worse, I cannot locate an "add-a-fuse" adapter for the ATM Mini®Fuse size in my local AutoZone stores, nor Radio Shack.

The picture you posted is Littelfuse # 071-580 and the part you need (assuming your Lib's fuse panel is the same as mine) is Littelfuse #071-585.

Now, where to buy?

unixxx

Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
Question(s)...

The ignition wire...is it not a good idea to run/tap/splice multiple gadgets to it (like a Navigation, GPS, Radar...all feeding off one wire)? I'm thinking someday I'll add a bunch of gadgets; thought I'd make a "connection point" for them.

BTW, anyone have a pic of the ignition wire under the steering wheel area?

Here's a list of the switched fuses:

21 - 10A - Radio
31 - 20A - Spare
32 - 10A - Front and Rear Wipers

The main switched line that feeds these three fuses should be colored Pink/Yellow. You could try using the spare or splicing into the main switched line.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unixxx said:
Here's a list of the switched fuses:

21 - 10A - Radio
31 - 20A - Spare
32 - 10A - Front and Rear Wipers

The main switched line that feeds these three fuses should be colored Pink/Yellow. You could try using the spare or splicing into the main switched line.

Thanks for the info, unixxx!...was exactly what I was looking for.
Now, if only that darn thing arrives in the mail some time this week so I could hook it up. 8-[

Latest posts

Members online