When to turn around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markc

Reaction score
Yesterday after doing some mountain biking I noticed a dirt road that seemed to head back into an interesting area following a local drainage. So, I took the road, sandy, very dry (read drought). Once I got back into the woods there was some off camber stuff that had one wheel in the air. I putted along as the woods got tighter and twistier resembling more of an atv trail, than a Jeep trail. I came to a steep, short, tight turn with a sizeable tree stump at the bottom and pine trees close on each side, and the drainage drop off near the bottom. I debated continuing, but being alone, on trails I was unfamiliar with, decided to back out.

Just curious, anyone find themself in the same situation and keep going only to regret it later? I usually press on, but the trail was so tight, I figured that I would not get out without some unwanted body damage.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I was 12 and driving my 1st Vehicle,a '79 Wagoneer.I went for it and ended up high centered,couldn't tell by looking but all 4 wheels were not touching the ground when the Wagoneer wouldn't go any father.Took my fathers '85 F150,100' of chain,and five 80' running starts to get her out(yeah I know about the whole chain thing,no straps back in those days).

markc

Reaction score
Thats funny. I burried a few pickup trucks when I was young. Didn't know anyone with a 4WD vehicle so I just assumed a pickup could do anything. Yeah, I was a good way from pavement and figured it would be difficult to call someone and tell them where I was. Usually the urge to go just a bit further down the trail takes over, but I was thinking serious body damage and being stuck for hours if I didn't turn around.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was stuck once when I was alone. Had to hike out and get a buddy with a winch.....haha

Always a good idea not to go where it is iffy if you are alone or the best thing is have 2 or more vehicles. Don't go alone.

Dave

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
More times in my TJ than the KJ. I drove out to a trail and it started raining, entrance is through a creek. The rain made the creek much deeper coming back. After I debated a while I realized it was just going to keep getting deeper, so I went for it. Water up to the windshield but made it through fine with no damage! Wish my KJ could do that.

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Oh and the first time I took the KJ on a trail I got stuck and had to leave it overnight because the v8 cherokee couldn't budge me out of the rut. Still had temp tags on my Jeep too.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see this is turning out to be a "I shuda turned around cause I was alone and I'll never do that again thread".......:smokin:

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yesterday after doing some mountain biking I noticed a dirt road that seemed to head back into an interesting area following a local drainage. So, I took the road, sandy, very dry (read drought). Once I got back into the woods there was some off camber stuff that had one wheel in the air. I putted along as the woods got tighter and twistier resembling more of an atv trail, than a Jeep trail. I came to a steep, short, tight turn with a sizeable tree stump at the bottom and pine trees close on each side, and the drainage drop off near the bottom. I debated continuing, but being alone, on trails I was unfamiliar with, decided to back out.

Just curious, anyone find themself in the same situation and keep going only to regret it later? I usually press on, but the trail was so tight, I figured that I would not get out without some unwanted body damage.

When to turn around?

When you do not not feel comfortable going further by yourself!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never really push it to hard when I'm by myself. I wheel alone a lot but definitely know the limits of my KJ. I had one close call where I went down a steep as hell trail that was full of loose rocks, it ended up a dead end right around the next corner. Trying to get back up the steep as hell trail full of loose rock was not fun. Took me quite awhile and several attempts.

I have doubled back a bunch of times. Out here there are trails that criss-cross all over. So if one way looks a little sketchy, more times than not, there is another trail that can bypass it.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I never really push it to hard when I'm by myself. I wheel alone a lot but definitely know the limits of my KJ.

Same here. Even when my co-pilot eggs me on to go further. :pp:

Trust your instincts... they are there for a reason.

markc

Reaction score
Ry' n Jen, you are right and thats what I did. The adventurous nature makes it hard to stop and turn around, but it beats being stuck over night. Dave, I agree, have another vehicle with you. But, I am retired and am out and about at odd hours during the day. Most folks I know are still working, and few even own a 4WD vehicle. Something wrong with that. Might need new friends, (friends with Jeeps)..

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
First 4x4,coming down a trail from the War,hit a stump with tie rod. Tires pointing at each other,3:00am,try to get a wrecker(stupider than going down road from Civil War) guy calls Daddy. It was ugly. Think it scared me for life.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turn around alot when I'm wheeling alone.

If there is a doubt, I don't go. Been in too many hairy situations in the past. It's not so much fun to raise the pucker factor when you're all alone.